Ottis Gibson and WICB sever ties

ST.JOHN’s, Antigua, CMC- Ottis Gibson’s tenure as head coach of the West Indies cricket team has ended, the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) confirmed late today.

The statement, released by the board ending rampant speculation over Gibson’s future with the regional side, said both parties ‘mutually agreed’ to terminate their association with immediate effect.

Team Manager, Sir Richie Richardson, has been asked to take charge of the team on an interim basis for the series against Bangladesh starting in Grenada tomorrow.

“Today the West Indies Cricket Board and Mr. Ottis Gibson mutually agreed to terminate their association with immediate effect,” said the short four line statement.

“The WICB wishes to express its gratitude to Mr. Gibson for his unwavering commitment and professionalism during his tenure as the Coach of the West Indies team”.

Ottis Gibson
Ottis Gibson

Gibson became West Indies coach in early 2010, replacing John Dyson, after serving as England’s bowling coach.

West Indies have shown recent improvements under Gibson by winning the World Twenty20 in Sri Lanka.

However the poor performances that have followed including losing the recent series in the Caribbean to New Zealand have triggered fresh speculation over his future as head coach of WICB.

“On behalf of the Board and West Indies cricket as a whole we express our gratitude to Ottis for his work, particularly in coaching the team to winning the ICC World Twenty20 in 2012, and offer our best wishes to him in all his future endeavours,”  the release quoted WICB Chief Executive Officer Michael Muirhead as saying.

West Indies play Bangladesh at the Grenada national stadium on Wednesday in the first of three One-Day International matches.

The two sides are also due to play two test matches and one T20 fixture.

Latest in Local News, Sports

The ambassadors group with UG Vice Chancellor Ivelaw Griffith (seated fifth from left)

UG needs emergency $$ to prevent collapse

A conference of local and diaspora stakeholders of the University of Guyana (UG) has called on the government to provide emergency funding to the institution to reverse its “imminent collapse”.

Sattaur Gafoor in the temporary office which was set up after the fire

Gafoor’s, insurers in ‘stalemate’ over Houston Complex repairs

There is a “stalemate” between Gafoors and its insurance underwriters over how to proceed on a building that was damaged in the massive fire at the company’s Houston Complex last month but some reconstruction has started.

20160629digicel

Duo stole over $31M in electronics from Digicel

Two men were yesterday charged with stealing over $31 million in electronics belonging to Digicel Guyana Incorporated. Albert De Freitas, 27, and Basdeo Sackoon, 26, appeared before city magistrate Dylon Bess charged with stealing a total of $31,107,510 in items from the telecoms company.

default placeholder

Driver gets one year in jail for causing boy’s death

A man was yesterday sentenced to one year in jail after being found guilty of three offences, including causing the death of an 11-year-old child by dangerous driving.

default placeholder

Gov’t support for city’s financial measures to hinge on transparency, public interest

President David Granger on Monday said that central government’s support for the city’s measures to make itself financial sustainable would rest on transparency and the public’s interest.

default placeholder

Man arrested over ISIS bomb threat at city bank

A man was yesterday morning arrested after he entered a city bank and demanded $10M under the name of Islamic State (ISIS) before threatening to explode a bomb that he claimed he had on him.

default placeholder

‘What’s in the cup, stays in the cup’

People’s Progressive Party (PPP) General Secretary Clement Rohee says “What’s in the cup stays in the cup,” in response to a question on whether the matter involving PPP/C Member of Parliament (MP), Nigel Dharamlall over threats he allegedly made, has been explained to the party’s satisfaction.

Carlton Beckles

Lethem Council sees agro-processing focus for Industrial Site 

The first municipal council of Lethem, Region Nine sees agro-processing as a key focus for the Lethem Industrial Site. Mayor of the recently commissioned township of Lethem, Carlton Beckles told GINA that the completion of the industrial area, with an emphasis on agro-processing is among priorities that the council has set to accomplish before it demits office.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: