Linden man denied bail over gun, ammo at Eteringbang

A 22-year-old man who allegedly had a gun and bullets at Eteringbang was remanded to prison when he appeared at the Georgetown Magistrate’s Court yesterday.

Trevor Philander of 1118 Amelia’s Ward, Linden pleaded not guilty to two charges of possession of a firearm without licence and possession of ammunition without licence and was remanded to prison by Magistrate Hazel Octive-Hamilton.

It is alleged that last Tuesday at Eteringbang, he had in his possession a .38 Taurus pistol without being the holder of a firearm licence in force at the time. It is also alleged that on the same day at Eteringbang he had three rounds of .38 ammunition without being the holder of a licence in force at the time.

Attorney-at-law Ronald Burch-Smith who appeared for Philander declared that his client since being arrested by the police was beaten while in custody.

He stated that the defendant was beaten on his back, shoulder, legs and his knees were badly swollen and his left hand numb. He asked that his client be taken to the Georgetown Public Hospital to be examined by a doctor.

The magistrate requested to see the marks on his shoulder and Philander took off his shirt.

However, no marks were visible and the magistrate stating that she was not a doctor assented to the defence counsel’s submission and ordered that a medical report be presented to the magistrate at Kamarang.

In a bail application, the attorney submitted that his client is 22-years-old, lives at the given address and has a shop and operates a mining claim in the interior. He stated that given the length of time and the “inadequacy” with which the court sits at Kamarang, Philander is likely to spend considerable time in prison.

In noting the prosecution’s objection to bail being granted, Police Prosecutor Shellon Daniels declared that the defendant is not the owner of a shop or a mining claim. She asserted that he would be able to have a quick trial as the case was being done summarily.

After listening to both sides, the magistrate remanded Philander and transferred the matter to the Kamarang Magistrate’s Court for December 17.

Around the Web