Police are probing allegations that students of a city primary school were sexually molested by a businessman. A doctor’s examination of one of the children, a 7-year-old boy, confirmed that he had been sexually assaulted.
Statements have been taken from at least three of the male minors, who are aged seven to eight years and who identified the man as the person who had committed the acts on them.
It is unclear exactly how many children at the school were interfered with but there is suspicion that the three might not have been the first. Stabroek News understands that the man, who was arrested on Wednesday, has since been placed on station bail.
According to reports reaching this newspaper, the man is said to have committed the acts during the school’s lunch period after the children had been given $40. It was stated that his victims were taken to his business place, a short distance away from the school, where he carried out the acts.
The concerned parents of one of the victims are calling for justice to be done as they expressed fears that the man might flee the jurisdiction. They told Stabroek News yesterday that they learnt that their son had been a victim after the child’s grandmother observed blood on his underwear while bathing him. The child had also complained of pain and at first it was thought that he had diarrhoea, but under questioning the boy made the disturbing revelation.
A report was made to the police and the boy was examined by a doctor, who confirmed that he had been sexually molested. The parents expressed concern that the man might flee the jurisdiction, as more cases were coming to light.
According to them, their son was taken to the man’s place by two older students from a higher class in the school.