Vendors at the Mackenzie Waterfront Market turned up yesterday to find most of their stalls demolished and partly demolished, but after an emotional meeting with the authorities have been granted a respite.
The demolition was done by the Linden Mayor and Town Council in a move to have the vendors transfer in the new market on the Mackenzie Wharf, which was constructed to house them. Under the new agreement forged at yesterday’s meeting, the vendors will move to the wharf area in January.
When Stabroek News visited the scene early yesterday morning, the frontal extensions of more than 15 stalls had been ripped off; the road was filled with rubble to the extent that it was impassable. Cars were seen going against the one-way along Coop Crescent in order to access the areas.
This newspaper understands that the council did not collect revenue on Monday and began the demolition exercise around 3:30 am yesterday.
Vendors said they had been in constant dialog with the council seeking their cooperation in delaying the move to the new vending area to January, since the stalls there lacked proper security and electricity. They claimed that the council had bargained with them to install the electricity in the stall, the cost of which would have been added to their daily stall rentals.
They said the new stalls had several other defects that they were prepared to rectify but wanted time to do so.
Following yesterday morning’s activity the council met the vendors in what was described as a “very emotional meeting” since many vendors were moved to tears as they pleaded for more time. They were eventually granted permission to remain in their current location until January with some conditions applied.