The Guyanese illegal immigrant who recently admitted raping a woman and attacking several others in Belfast, Ireland was before the court here for a similar offence but absconded after being granted bail.
In July 2005, Ryan Subryan, then a 21-year-old taxi driver, was charged with raping a female passenger before robbing her at gunpoint of a quantity of cash.
Stabroek News had reported that Subryan was not required to enter a plea for rape, but entered a not guilty plea for robbery under arms.
He appeared before then acting chief magistrate Cecil Sullivan who released him on $75,000 bail. Subryan reportedly skipped bail and never returned to court for the matter.
The case against him was that around 2 am on the day of the incident, the complainant, a 22-year-old woman hired Subryan to take her from Sheriff Street to the Stabroek Market area.
When they were in the vicinity of Mandela Avenue, he reportedly began taking another route. About 200 metres off the main road, he allegedly stopped the car and raped the woman.
After committing the unlawful offence he placed a gun to her neck and relieved her of $5,000 and US$250 which she had in her possession.
The matter was subsequently reported to the police and Subryan was pointed out during an identification parade.
During the court appearance, the man’s address was given as Lot 224 Munipur Street, Prashad Nagar.
However, this newspaper was told yesterday that the man was not a permanent resident of the premises, which belonged to relatives, but would stay there occasionally.
At the time of the incident he had been staying there for about three to four months while his relative was overseas.
After being charged and paying the bail, the man fled the country and ended up in Ireland illegally. It is unclear how long he has been living in Ireland but this newspaper was told that he left here several years ago.
According to a BBC news article published in its online edition last Friday, Subryan, 25 of Dunmurry Lane, south Belfast and originally from Guyana in South America, pleaded guilty to the offences committed in 2007.
He was described in Belfast Crown Court as a sexual predator and after he admitted committing a total of seven offences, Justice Hart, who remanded him into custody, warned that he was considering a life sentence.
A Crown prosecutor revealed that in the first incident, Subryan forced a Polish woman into his car and held her against her will as she walked home from a city centre bar on June 28.
After being held for 20 minutes with a gun pointed at her, she managed to escape and rang her boyfriend.
The following evening, on 29 June, the second of Subryan’s victims was in the Skye nightclub with her friend when she met the accused.
At some point, she realised she had lost her phone and Subryan offered to help her look for it. He rang the number then told the woman a “bogus story” about someone at another nightclub having her mobile.
Subryan offered to drive her to the other venue to retrieve the phone, but he instead drove to the docklands where he indecently assaulted the woman and tried to have sex with her in the early hours of 30 June.
A Crown prosecutor said that Subryan “threatened that if she didn’t have sex, he would put a gun to her head and shoot her”.
About 30 minutes later, a woman was walking home from a birthday party when a man approached her in the Albert Bridge area and told her she was beautiful.
She was subsequently knocked out on the street and when she came round, she realised she had been raped.
Subryan was linked to the rape by DNA evidence.
When the father of two was arrested he initially denied all the charges put to him but has since pleaded guilty to two counts of threats to kill, kidnapping, assault with intent to rape, indecent assault, rape and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.