Man in custody over murder of Pomeroon duo

One man has been taken into custody as police continue an investigation into the discovery of the bullet-riddled bodies of two men on Monday in the Atlantic Ocean in the vicinity of Iron Punt, North West District (NWD).

The decomposing bodies of businessman Romeo De Agrella, 41, and his son Clint De Agrella, 20, of Grant Strong Hope, Lower Pomeroon River, were found on Monday afternoon.

A post-mortem was performed on the bodies yesterday by government pathologist Dr Nehaul Singh and it was found that both men died from multiple gunshot wounds. They were laid to rest yesterday afternoon.

When contacted, relatives declined to comment on the gruesome killings, stating that they were in a state of mourning. Reports are that the elder De Agrella is a well-known businessman in the area and residents expressed shock at his sudden and brutal demise. Stabroek News understands that the man in custody has been giving the police conflicting reports on what he knew of the men.

According to a press statement from the police, investigations revealed that the victims had left Venezuela to return to Guyana last Friday and after not returning as expected they were reported as missing to the police on March 22, 2009. The release said their bodies were found on Monday with gunshot wounds while their boat which bore bullet holes was recovered, minus the outboard motor engine.

Reports had indicated that the men had contacted their relatives on Friday and stated that they were on their way home but when they failed to arrive their family became worried.

They formed a search party and went looking for the men and with the help of some persons who said they had seen an empty boat the bodies were discovered.

The relatives returned for the police and Sunday and with the lawmen journeyed once again to the area where the bodies were found and they were brought out to the Suddie Hospital late Monday afternoon.

Speaking with Stabroek News, Crime Chief Seelall Persaud yesterday said the wife and mother of the victim reported that the two men would make regular trips to Venezuela where they sold salted fish. They would then return with another type of fish, which they would export to other countries.

Persaud said the men had left Guyana two weeks ago. According to him, the bodies were found some distance from each other, while their boat was discovered partly submerged close to the Wiani River. A fisherman pulled it to shore. What appeared to be shrapnel was discovered in the boat.

Asked if the area where the men were found was prone to pirate attacks, Persaud said the police had not received reports of pirate attacks in that area for quite some time.

Around the Web