Truck driver remanded over causing death at Bartica

The truck driver accused of causing the death of an octogenarian at Bartica last Saturday was remanded to prison yesterday when he appeared before Acting Chief Magistrate Melissa Robertson at the Georgetown Magistrate’s Court

Romel Jeffrey, 26, of Third Avenue, Bartica pleaded not guilty to the charge of causing death by dangerous driving.

Romel Jeffrey

It is alleged that on March 21, at First Avenue, Bartica, Jeffrey drove motor vehicle GLL 6058 in a dangerous manner which resulted in an accident that caused the death of eighty-six-year-old Gabriel Joseph.

Jeffrey’s lawyer, Mohamed Zafar, applied for bail for his client on the grounds that this was the first time his client was ever charged for anything and he had fully cooperated with the police in the matter.

The lawyer went on to say that although it was an unfortunate case, his client had rendered immediate assistance to Joseph by taking him to the Bartica Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival. Zafar also noted that his client works for a mining company and was on duty at the time of the accident. He stated that Jeffrey’s employer had been negotiating with the family of the deceased to offer some sort of compensation for their loss.
The lawyer stated, however, that the compensation matter would be dealt with the next time his client appears in court.

The magistrate subsequently ordered that Jeffrey be remanded to prison and that he appear back in court on April 15.

According to reports Joseph was crushed to death by the ‘bush truck’ at First Avenue, Bartica in the vicinity of Relaxing Hotel and CBR Mining, which is Jeffrey’s workplace.

At the time of his death, the Mora Camp, Mazaruni River resident was returning home after visiting his brother at the Relaxing Hotel.

Reports are that at around 10:45 am, Joseph was walking in a northerly direction while the truck was reversing during a heavy downpour.  Joseph’s upper body was crushed by the back wheel of the vehicle.
He was rushed to the Bartica Hospital a short distance away but was pronounced dead on arrival

Around the Web