Pastor accused of obtaining money by false pretence

‘… I had a good night’s rest in the lock-up and I got a chance to preach to the prisoners’

A pastor of the Revival Mission Ministries who allegedly obtained money by false pretence was yesterday placed on self-bail when he appeared before Acting Chief Magistrate Melissa Robertson at the Georgetown Magistrate’s Court.

It is alleged that on July 8 at Georgetown, Ronald Hudson, 39, of 156 Section ‘A’ Great Diamond, East Bank Demerara with intent to defraud, obtained $30,000 from Lavine Lammy by falsely pretending that he was in a position to obtain one Guyana passport for her, knowing same to be false.

Hudson pleaded not guilty to the charge when it was read to him by the Acting Chief Magistrate.

When given a chance to respond, the defendant told the court that it was the goodness of his heart and the ingratitude of the virtual complainant (VC) that landed him in the lock-ups and ultimately in court.

“But I had a good night’s rest in the lock-up and I got a chance to preach to the prisoners,” Hudson told the court.

The defendant said that he rents cars and had rented one to the VC who was visiting from England and staying at the Pegasus Hotel. Hudson said that on the day in question, the VC had explained to him that she needed to have her Guyanese passport renewed. He said that he offered to help her since being an ex-police officer he had contacts that could have allowed her to get back the passport in a short time.

Hudson said however that it turned out that he could not get the passport in a short time since there was a long line at the passport office. The pastor said that he explained the situation to the VC and told her that she needed to pay him $60,000 for rental of his vehicle and gas to which she agreed.

The pastor said further that Lammy gave him $30,000 and said that he was going to have the balance the same day. When he showed up for the balance, however, Hudson said that he received a call from a policeman  who said that he was wanted on the charge which was read to him.

“This is what I have gotten for helping her,” the defendant said.

He was later placed on self-bail and has to return to court on July 28.

Around the Web