Bullets removed from bodies of shot teens

Two teenagers who were among the victims of Tuesday’s shooting outside the National Gymnasium, Mandela Avenue had bullets removed from their bodies yesterday and are now recovering in the surgical ward of the Georgetown Hospital.

Dwayne Wharton, 17, of West Ruimveldt was shot in the foot while Terrence Edwards, 15, sustained a gunshot wound to his right side buttocks after White Castle Fish Shop owner Jermaine Langevine allegedly fired a gun into a crowd following a dispute  over a `bet’ placed on a football match. Langevine was later beaten until he was unconscious in his Hadfield Street business place, where he had fled after the shooting.

Jamal Thomas, 17, of West Ruimveldt, Charlestown resident Oriely Small, 25, and Jason Marks, 17, of West Ruimveldt were also shot during the incident.

Langevine and one of his employees, Mark Goodridge were yesterday charged in connection with the incident. (See story on page )
According to the police, the teens and Small were shot around 23:20 hours while attending a football final. An argument ensued between Small and the suspect, who had sponsored one of the teams in the Inter-pub football final, over a wager. Police said another man handed the suspect a gun which he fired several times into the crowd standing outside the gymnasium, resulting in injuries to the spectators. He subsequently fled the scene. The statement added that some time later the suspect was accosted by another man who assaulted him and was admitted to a city hospital as a result. Langevine’s younger brother, Jason, was also injured during the incident and is currently hospitalized.

Many fans had flocked to the gymnasium to witness the final between the White Castle Fish Shop and Terrence Bar, which brought the curtains down on the competition that started earlier this month.

Yesterday Stabroek News was told that the police are looking for the person or persons who inflicted the beating on Langevine.
Stabroek News was told that Langevine, who sustained a broken jaw and serious injuries to his head, is still in a critical condition.

Around the Web