Mash jump-up off

Kashif and Shanghai Organ-isation yesterday announced the cancellation of its Mash Jump Up concert, which was to feature Barbadian soca queen Alison Hinds, “on account of irreversible difficulties arising out of venue-related miscommunication.” The concert was billed for the National Park on February 21 and organisers said it would have been their contribution to this year’s Mashramani celebrations, but last Friday the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sport stated that it had not granted permission for any activity to be held at the National Park on that night.

When contacted, one of the organisers of the event, Kashif Mohammed, said a new venue was to be announced within 24 hours since there was a misunderstanding. He did not elaborate, but pointed out that the public would be informed of the change in venue “very shortly”.

However, in a release yesterday the organisation said the show has been cancelled and tendered “its fulsome apologies to those sponsors that had been associated with the show and to patrons who were anticipating the show as part of Guyana’s 2009 Mashramani celebrations.”

The management of Alison Hinds and her band has been contacted and informed of the cancellation and according to the organisers they have opened discussions with Hinds’ representatives regarding her appearing in Guyana at an event promoted by the Kashif and Shanghai Organisation at the “very earliest future date.” The organisers took the opportunity to extend best wishes to the government and people of Guyana for  “an enjoyable Mashramani 2009.”

The organisers said that they regretted that “what we   had hoped would be our contribution to this year’s Mashramani celebrations will no longer take place.”

On Friday the Culture Ministry issued a media advisory which stated that that the Children’s Costume and Float parade, which is coordinated by the Ministry of Education was the only official Mashramani activity scheduled for February 21. The ministry asked the public to take note. The Kashif and Shanghai Organisation, through Digicel, El Dorado, Carib and Caribbean Airlines, was expected to host the Mash Jump Off concert. Digicel and Carib have this year opted out of being part of the float parade on Mashramani day, something they have been a part of in previous years.

Comments  

Dwight Yorke denies deal with chutney singer

(Trinidad Guardian) Former T&T and Manchester United footballer Dwight Yorke yesterday denied he entered into any contract with Chutney Monarch Neval Chatelal to loan him money to pay off a debt following his Island Vibe fete last year.

Gov’t seeking $10b-15b to reopen estates

For the limited reopening of the Skeldon and Enmore sugar estates next month, government is in the process of borrowing some $10B to 15B from local commercial banks here, Minister of Finance Winston Jordan says.

Contractor shot in head, robbed after leaving bank

A 38-year-old electrical contractor narrowly escaped death yesterday after he was shot and robbed of $600,000 by two motorcycle bandits who trailed him from a bank before cornering him at his Enmore, East Coast Demerara (ECD) worksite.

By ,

Guyana moves up in transparency ranking

Guyana has registered its highest score on the Transparency International (TI) Corruption Index Report but even with a mark of 38 and ranking at 91 out of 180 countries it is still viewed as a very corrupt country.

Third term hearing now set for March 12 at CCJ

Guyana’s appeal over the constitutionality of presidential term limits will now be heard on March 12 by the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ), according to the Trinidad-based court’s schedule of sittings.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×