The Digicel-powered tournament’s first round wraps up with a 6pm kick off time match with BK International Western Tigers battling Uitvlugt Football Club in the curtain raiser of the double header that has Sunburst Camptown and Pouderoyen contesting a purported grudge match in the second.

Pouderoyen suffered a one year ban from the Guyana Football Federation (GFF) during an Alpha United Football Festival Competition after they refused to continue a match with Camptown which was deadlocked at regulation and extra time and which went into a penalty shootout.

The Guyana Defence Force (GDF) and Fruta Conquerors are down to contest one quarterfinal while Pele and GFC will be fighting for a semi-final spot against Bakewell Buxton Stars and Alpha United who claimed victories over Uprising and BV Triumph Football Club Friday evening respectively.

On Friday Bakewell Buxton Stars dominated the second half of play in their encounter against Uprising to sink them 2 – 1 at the regulation whistle while Alpha ‘The Hammer’ United hammered BV Triumph 4 – 1.

On Friday in the curtain raiser, Buxton and Uprising played matching football in the first 45 minutes of play but Rashleigh Morrison drew first blood for Buxton with a successful 48th minute strike.

Uprising equalised just over 30 minutes later when John Fecker got past Buxton’s custodian in the 80th minute.

Just when it appeared as if the game would be going into extra time, Buxton’s Curtis Moore recorded a 90th minute goal to lead his team to victory.

Alpha United bulldozed their way into quarterfinal round with four massive goals to BV Triumph’s one.

Eddie Gomes scored Alpha’s first goal in the 24th minute of the first half which ended 1 – 0.

Dwayne Jacobs then made his presence felt in the second half, recording goals in the 47th and 60th minutes for Alpha while Elton Browne placed the icing on the cake four minutes later.

Delroy Deene’s 85th minute success was the best moment of the evening for the BV Triumph team.

Around the Web