Mayor’s Cup Competition…

– Last two quarterfinals to be contested tonight
Alpha United and Sunburst Camptown were the first two teams to make it into the semi-final round of the 14th annual Mayor’s Cup Knockout Competition powered by Digicel when they won their quarter-final matches on Friday at the Georgetown Football Club (GFC) ground.

Alpha gave GFC the full blunt of the hammer in a 4 – 0 defeat, while Sunburst Camptown managed to get past their opponents B K International Western Tigers 2 – 1.

The two victorious teams has now set the stage to oppose each other in the semi- -finals on Wednesday evening, to see who will advanced to the final and have a shot to compete for top honours.

In the Alpha/GFC encounter, it was evident that the victors had more superior ball control, building up plays which ended successfully and resulting in them scoring.

Even though both teams missed numerous chances at goal, there was a terrific display of football all round by both teams.
Alpha’s first goal came on the brink of the first half, when Dwight Peters, who received a long ball from the back line broke away into the 18yard box and got a shot off from the left flank which beat the GFC custodian Lawrence Fanfair and came to rest at the back of the goal in the 44th minute.
The second half saw three more goals being recorded by the eventually winners,the first of which came in the 64th minute from the boot of Dwayne Jacobs who received a wonderful cross from Peters directly in front of the goal.

Peters recorded his double two minutes later, scoring a similar goal to that of his first, one which the defenders thought to be an offside play and let their defence down, leaving Peters and Fanfair in a one on one situation which Peters won after beating the custodian with a shot to his left. Their final goal came from the energetic forward Elton Browne who looked hungry for a goal throughout the 90 minutes of play.

Even with the entire opposition forward Browne managed to find the back of the net past the keeper who did not make much of an effort to defend the uprights.

Camptown were on the back foot in the first half of their encounter with BK International Western Tigers and found themselves trailing by one goal at the half time whistle, compliments of a Dellon Fraser 14th minute.

A two goal lead is always much more comfortable than one and even though Tigers were trying to push to double up on their lead, their chances were denied by the belligerent Camptown striker Telston McKinnon who got the equalizer in the 57th minute for his team.

The tables turn soon after and it was the Tigers who were in pursuit after Lance Rawlston edged Camptown forward on the scorecards with a 73rd minute strike.

Camptown held off the opposition to book a victory that earned them a spot in the semis against Alpha United.
Tonight action continues at 6pm with the last quarter-final double header and fans can expect a thrilling evening of competition when Fruta Conquerors meet the Guyana Defence Force (GDF) in the curtain raiser.

In the second match, Bakewell Buxton Stars will go up against the rejuvenated Pele Football Club to decide the other semi-finalist.

Around the Web