East Coast teams suffer defeat at home

East Coast Demerara teams Buxton United and Victoria Kings both suffered defeats at home as action continued in the Guyana Football Federation (GFF) Super League competition on  Sunday at the Enmore Community Centre ground.

Telson Mc Kinnon attempts a shot at goal.
Telson Mc Kinnon attempts a shot at goal.

The youthful Buxton United side went down to the Guyana Defence Force 0-1, while Sunburst Camptown handed Victoria Kings a 3-1 thumping.

Better known for hosting first class cricket matches, the Enmore ground seemed to be the ideal venue for the Georgetown-based GDF and Camptown teams.

In the feature match of the double header played in a rain storm, Camptown found the conditions to their liking  and dispatched the  Kings on a drenched field as the fair sized crowd scampered for shelter.

The Georgetown premier league team took the lead as early as the third minute when Telson McKinnon broke through the centre and powered home a right foot shot past Kings goalkeeper Andrew Williams.

Kings had the opportunity to equalise in the 15th minute when they were awarded a penalty kick after one of their players was fouled in their opponents  goal area but the ensuing kick from Donald Lutchman was saved by Camptown’s goalkeeper Richie Richards. Camptown’s  striking force spearheaded by Nigel Codrington, McKinnon and Troy Prescod, who returned to the side after missing the Rosignol match two Sundays ago, continued their relentless attack and was rewarded when Kester Alleyne headed home a goal in the 30th minute from a corner.

Upon resumption, and with the rain easing up, Orin Elias  and Kwesi De Souza  launched an all out attack for the  Kings who eventually scored in the 49th minute from a well directed free kick from De Souza that hit the cross bar and ended at the back of the net.

Minutes later Kings was awarded another free kick but DeSouza’s shot was saved by Richards.

Urged on by the home crowd, Kings continued to press forward for the equaliser throwing caution to the wind  but almost on the stroke of the final whistle Camptown seized on the lapse in their opponents defence to net their third goal off the boot of second half substitute Dellon Johnson. Earlier, the GDF side outran and outmanoeuvred a lethargic Buxton team and was in their opponents half of the field for most of the match but was guilty of squandermania after missing numerous scoring opportunities.

Among the culprits for the Army were Wesley Hall, Beresford Williams and Ceon Brewley who all failed to find the back of the net with only United’s goalkeeper Brian Robinson to beat.

However, Marlon Benjamin ensured that his team came out victorious in the 37th minute when he patted home an easy shot after Robinson lost his footing while advancing for a ball giving Benjamin an easy scoring chance.

The win for Camptown pushed them to third position with eight points behind current leaders Alpha United with 14 points and Rosignol currently on nine points.

Four teams are placed on seven points – Liquid Gold, Bakewell Top XX, GDF and Milerock.

Around the Web