Photographer denies assaulting man near photo studio

Fifty-three-year-old Clairmonte Marcus of North Ruimveldt was yesterday placed on self-bail when he appeared at the Georgetown Magistrate’s Court accused of assaulting a man near a photo studio.

Marcus, a former photographer at Stabroek News, entered a not guilty plea to the charge of assault causing bodily harm when Acting Chief Magistrate Melissa Robertson read it to him.

He denied that on July 8 at Camp Street he unlawfully assaulted Curtis Cummings so as to cause him actual bodily harm.

Marcus stated that the incident stemmed from Cummings parking carelessly along the roadside near the studio, making it difficult for persons to pass.

Marcus said when Cummings was told by several persons to position his vehicle properly he became abusive to them.

He said he never assaulted Cummings and several persons who were present at the time of the incident would testify to that.

Marcus further stated that Cummings owes him $60,000 for a camera lens that he took from him over a year ago.

However, Cummings who was also present in court stated Marcus approached him in a very hostile manner, demanding that he should pay him for a camera lens but he had already paid him for it.

He said Marcus wanted $100,000 for the lens but he told him that he would not pay that much and only gave him $60,000. He said that since then Marcus has been tormenting him.

He said when he refused to pay attention to Marcus at the studio he became more angry and started hitting and scratching him in his face.

He said he immediately left and got the police who soon arrested Marcus.

The magistrate then ordered that Marcus make another court appearance in Court Two on September 23.

Around the Web

Comments