England continue Ashes domination in Perth

PERTH, (Reuters) – England tightened their grip on   the Ashes in Perth yesterday, restricting Australia to a   first innings total of 268 after a feisty rearguard fightback   on day one of the third test.
England’s seamers blasted through Australia’s first four   batsmen for only 36 runs during a fiery morning session but   were plundered for another 232 by the last six as the greentop   pitch flattened out under a baking hot sun at the WACA ground.
Andrew Strauss, on 12, and Alastair Cook (17) survived 12   overs in the last session to see the tourists to 29 for no   loss at stumps.
Tail-end cameos by pacemen Mitchell Johnson and Peter   Siddle delighted home fans, but served to underline a missed   opportunity by Australia’s top order to weather the early   attack and build a big total.
After resuming on 179-6, England quick Anderson struck in   the fourth over after tea when wicketkeeper Brad Haddin nicked   a thick edge to Graeme Swann at slip to go for 53.
Anderson then bowled paceman Ryan Harris for three in his   next over before Johnson celebrated a brave half century in a   solid return to the side after being dropped following the   first test in Brisbane.
Johnson’s heroics were ended by Steve Finn, however, who   dismissed the paceman for a top-scoring 62 after enticing him   into a poorly hit pull shot straight to Anderson at square leg.
Spinner Graeme Swann then had Ben Hilfenhaus out for 13,   caught by Cook at short leg to leave Siddle stranded on 35 not   out.
Chris Tremlett earlier continued his brilliant return to   the test team by removing Steve Smith for seven shortly after   lunch for his third wicket to leave Australia reeling for 69-5.
Michael Hussey threw caution to the wind in a defiant stand with   wicketkeeper Brad Haddin, however, and brought up his   half-century with a boundary off Steve Finn.
It was up to Swann to stop the rot and he duly delivered   in his second over after being introduced to relieve the   English seamers as the temperature soared above 30 degrees   Celsius.
Swann was carted for three boundaries by the enterprising   Haddin in his first over but responded by having Hussey caught   behind for 61 just before tea.
The breakthrough ended a 68-run partnership between   Husssey and Haddin and exposed Australia’s long tail with more   than a session left to play.
Australia trail the five-test series 1-0 but already   appear in survival mode with England needing victory in Perth   to take the Ashes home for the first time in 24 years.
Strauss landed the first psychological blow by winning the   toss and the call proved correct as Tremlett bowled Hughes   with his sixth ball, then removed Michael Clarke for four in   his fourth over.
Anderson clinched the key wicket of Ricky Ponting for 12   to continue a dismal run for the Australian captain who failed   twice in the second test at Adelaide.
Finn compounded the hosts’ morning misery by dismissing   Shane Watson lbw for 13 shortly before lunch after landing a   yorker plum on the opening batsman’s toe in a decision   confirmed by TV review.
The fiery morning spell recalled England’s furious attack   at Adelaide Oval that saw the hosts lose three wickets for two   runs within three overs of their first innings of the second   test.
After dismissing Australia cheaply in that innings,   England then romped to an innings and 71 run victory and will   now hold hope similar hopes of repeating the feat at Perth.

Around the Web