‘1990’ death threat for Kamla

(Trinidad Express) – The protective services were put on high alert on Wednesday after a threat was made against the safety and security of the country, over Government’s decision to auction property belonging to the Jamaat-al-Muslimeen.

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar’s name was mentioned in the threat, which is receiving the urgent attention of officers of the Special Branch and the Criminal Intelligence Unit.

The threat, a police report stated, was made to attorney Liana Ramsahai shortly after she left the Hall of Justice in Port of Spain and was walking north along St Vincent Street.

A report Ramsahai made at the Central Police Station (CPS) in Port of Spain stated that around 10.10 am, she was walking near the First Citizens car park when a man, dressed in blue jeans and a thick jacket with a “hoodie” over his head, approached her.

The man told Ramsahai, “Tell de Prime Minister, yuh family, the day she auction and sell we property, we go finish what we start in 1990 and we go surprise she.”

The man was making reference to the 1990 failed coup which was staged by Jamaat-al-Muslimeen leader Yasin Abu Bakr and 114 present and former members of his organisation. The man then jumped into a waiting red Nissan B-14 motorcar, which drove off.

Ramsahai, who was screened for the Oropouche West seat, but rejected by the United National Congress’ screening committee for the just-concluded general election, went to the CPS around 11.50 am, where she made a report to PC Ramjattan, who later informed his seniors about the nature of the threat.

Police investigators went to the scene and combed the area to determine if any surveillance cameras may have recorded the incident. The Express understands that Attorney General Anand Ramlogan, National Security Minister Brigadier John Sandy, Security Adviser to the PM Gary Griffith and Acting Commissioner James Philbert were informed about the incident. Griffith, police officers and personnel from various security agencies then visited the scene where the incident took place.

A police source told the Express that Abu Bakr was contacted but denied his organisation had anything to do with the incident.

The threat stemmed from a recent statement made by Ramlogan, in which he stated that the State was moving to recover millions in damages awarded to the State.

Last year, High Court Justice Rajendra Narine awarded the State more than $32 million in damages for the 1990 events.

Narine also ordered that 11 properties belonging to Abu Bakr and his second in command, Kala Aki Bua, be auctioned off to compensate for damage incurred during the failed insurrection.

The damage was assessed at $15 million, with three per cent interest per annum from July 27, 1990, and 12 per cent for each year the sum remained unpaid following the assessment in January 2001.

Around the Web

Comments