Venezuela, Netherlands panel to review flights

CARACAS (Reuters) – Venezuela and the Netherlands will review aerial operations by both countries after Caracas protested what it said were illegal flights by Dutch military planes into its airspace, a joint statement by the countries said yesterday.

On Tuesday Venezuela complained about three “provocative” flights this month presumed to have originated from Dutch islands off its Caribbean coast.

The Netherlands said the allegations were groundless and that it wanted to resolve the issue with dialogue.

A dispute has simmered since the Latin American country accused the Dutch last year of letting US military spy flights operate from bases on the Dutch territories of Aruba and Curacao.

“It was agreed to create a commission to review the air operations conducted by the two countries,” said the joint statement issued after Venezuelan Foreign Minister Nicolas Maduro met his Dutch counterpart Maxime Verhagen in Caracas on Friday.

It said the two nations would also study the feasibility of constructing a Venezuela-Aruba gas pipeline, and that the ministers had expressed their support for continued cooperation between Venezuela’s state oil company PDVSA and the refineries in Aruba and Curacao.

“Both ministers reasserted the staunch commitment of their countries to absolute respect for territorial integrity and sovereignty,” the statement said, adding that Aruba’s Prime Minister Mike Eman and a senior official from the Dutch Antilles had also attended the meeting.

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has said the self-governing Dutch islands are in Venezuelan territorial waters, and last year he accused the Netherlands of planning aggression against Venezuela by letting US military forces operate from them.

The Dutch government says about 250 US personnel are on Curacao and Aruba to fight drug trafficking and conduct surveillance operations over Caribbean drug smuggling routes.

Comments  

Chatelal forgives Yorke as loan repaid

(Trinidad Guardian)  “Dwight, I forgive you.” So stated reigning Chutney Soca Monarch Neval Chatelal in an open letter to former T&T and Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke yesterday, following the repayment of a $250,000 loan.

Exxon contract final -Harmon

The controversial Production Sharing Agreement (PSA) signed between the government and ExxonMobil’s local subsidiary and partners is final and will not be subject to any changes, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

NIS re-examining investment in Berbice Bridge, GM says

General Manager Holly Greaves yesterday said the National Insurance Scheme (NIS) is re-examining its investment in the Berbice Bridge after dismal returns over the past few years.

CARICOM staffer shot, robbed after bank withdrawal

A gunman yesterday afternoon shot and robbed a senior CARICOM Secreta-riat employee after he left the Republic Bank (Guyana) Limited branch at Triumph, East Coast Demerara (ECD), in what is the most recent attack on the bank’s customers.

President says confident in World Court cause

As Guyana celebrates 48 years as a Republic, President David Granger has reiterated his government’s intention to take the Venezuelan border controversy to the World Court and declared each citizen a protector of the nation’s sovereignty.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×