Mexico probing Acapulco tourist kidnapping report

ACAPULCO, Mexico (Reuters) – Authorities are investigating the reported kidnapping of 20 Mexican tourists in the Pacific Coast resort city of Acapulco, a state official said yesterday.

If confirmed, the incident would be another blow to a renowned beach resort where drug cartel violence has been on the rise in recent years.

Police received a report on Friday that 20 mechanics on vacation from another part of western Mexico were kidnapped on Thursday afternoon, said Fernando Monreal, a top investigator with the attorney general’s office in Guerrero state, where Acapulco is located.

The victims were taken in an upscale area near the main tourist strip of hotels, shops and discos along the beach, according to the report filed by a man who said he was part of the group and had seen his friends abducted.

He provided police with a list of names and a description of the cars in which the group arrived, but has since disappeared, Monreal said.

“It is very probable that he went back to where he was from,” Monreal said by telephone. “We are looking for evidence. The information is very thin.”

The visitors were said to be from the western state of Michoacan, Monreal said, another flash point in Mexico’s drug war and home to a drug gang that has been fighting to gain control of the region around Acapulco.

“There are groups that are fighting for these positions. There perhaps could have been some mix-up,” said Monreal.
Since government troops killed cartel kingpin Arturo Beltran Leyva last December, rival factions of his organization have been battling for control in the Pacific tourist city.

Mexico’s tourism industry is a major source of foreign exchange and there are fears that rising drug violence could further damage the sector, following drop-offs after the H1N1 flu outbreak last year and the global economic downturn.
More than 29,000 people have died in drug violence across Mexico since President Felipe Calderon launched his army-led attack on drug cartels when he took office in late 2006.

Comments  

Charlestown shop owner shot during altercation

The police say they are investigating a shooting incident which occurred about 11:20 am today at Leopold and Breda streets, Charlestown during which shop owner, Jacqueline Lagnah, 55, of 83 Leopold and Breda streets, sustained two suspected gunshot injuries to her lower back.

Wave of looting shutters stores, spreads fear in Venezuela

CARACAS/SAN CRISTOBAL, Venezuela,  (Reuters) – A wave of looting by hungry mobs across Venezuela has left streets of shuttered shops in provincial towns and pushed some store owners to arm themselves with guns and machetes, stirring fear that the turmoil could spread to the capital Caracas.

NY man gets 41 years for killing Guyanese girl

Taariq Stephens (New York Daily News photo) A Brooklyn man got a 41-year maximum prison sentence yesterday for killing a 16-year-old Guyanese girl who authorities said rejected his advances.

Debutant Ngidi leads South Africa to series victory v India

PRETORIA,  (Reuters) – Debutant Lungi Ngidi took six wickets as South Africa defeated India by 135 runs to claim victory in the second test in Pretoria today and also win the series with an unassailable 2-0 lead in the three-match contest.

T&T judge grants injunction stopping highway project

(Trinidad Guardian) Environmental activist group Fishermen and Friends of the Sea (FFOS) has obtained an interim injunction barring the Government from continuing work on the first phase of the $400M Churchill Roosevelt Highway Extension to Manzanilla.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×