Protest leads to selectors’ U-turn, Hodge’s inclusion


THE VALLEY, Anguilla, CMC –
Leeward Islands selectors have reversed an earlier decision and included batsman Montcin Hodge in their 23-man training squad for next month’s Caribbean Twenty20 Championship.

The 23-year-old Anguillian was not originally selected but was called up after cricket officials here protested to the Leewards Islands Cricket Association.

Hodge has been a regular member of the first class team for the past few seasons and has  performed consistently.
Former Anguilla Cricket Association president Benjamin Hughes, who had led the outcry against Hodge’s exclusion, protested to LICA president Gregory Shillingford and chairman of selectors Percy Daniel.

Montcin Hodge

Hughes said Daniel explained that Hodge’s exclusion had been an “oversight.”
Hodge now joins Anguillian colleagues Omari Banks, Kelbert Walters, Jahmar Hamilton and Chesney Hughes who are scheduled to leave here next Tuesday to attend the training camp in Antigua ahead of the January 10-23 tournament.

“All the local players are looking forward to camp in Antigua,” Hughes told CMC Sports yesterday.
Leewards coach Kumar Rodney also said he had not been present when the squad was selected but said he had also insisted that Hodge be part of the training squad.

Hodge was a member of the successful Leewards squad that shared the WICB One-Day Championship with Barbados in Jamaica last month, but managed just 93 runs from five innings with a highest score of 39.

Around the Web

Comments