Sophia woman burnt after garbage explodes

As a Sophia woman went about a usual evening chore of burning garbage, it exploded, causing her to sustain severe burns about the body.

Subrina Abiola Johnson, who is in her late 30s, was up to press time in a critical condition at the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC). The woman was rushed to the hospital minutes after sustaining burns to her face, neck, chest, arms and one of her legs. “If you see she face, it look blue, blue,” a distressed relative told Stabroek News last night.

The relative said that they had gone to the trauma room where Johnson was being tended to by doctors but could not stand to see her in such a state. Johnson, according to the relative, was constantly crying out for pain.

The incident occurred sometime between 10pm and 10.30pm, a neighbour said. The man recalled that he was in his house when he heard what sounded like an explosion and he immediately dashed outside to see what had happened. “When I rush outside, I see she daughter there screaming and she been down on de ground,” the man said.

He later discovered that Johnson had been burnt to her face and upper body.

The man said that he immediately assisted relatives in transporting the injured woman to the hospital. “All she been screaming out is that she skin burning she.

And every time we touch she, she telling that don’t do that because it blazing she more,” he said.

He further stated that he believed it may have been a glass bottle or a can that caused the explosion. He and many other Sophia residents burn garbage in their yards or on the road side.

Around the Web

Comments