Woman remanded over gunpoint robbery of a man

A woman accused of robbing a man at gunpoint in excess of $200,000 in cash and other items was yesterday remanded to prison after appearing before acting Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry.

The allegation against Tessa Robinson is that on June 14 at Georgetown, being armed with a gun, she robbed Jerald James of a quantity of US and Guyana currency, a car battery, a tape deck and an equalizer, all totaling $257,700.

The woman pleaded not guilty to the charge of robbery under arms when it was read to her at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court.

In presenting the prosecution’s facts, Police Corporal Venetta Pindar said that the two are known to each other and on the day in question the virtual complainant (VC) was dropping off the accused at a Blygzeight location when the incident occurred.

According to Pindar,  the defendant who was in the company of another person flagged down the VC whom she saw approaching in his car. Pindar said that after the two entered the car, Robinson asked James to take them to Blygzeight.

The corporal said that when the vehicle arrived in Blygzeight, the accused pointed a gun at the complainant who became afraid for his life and ran a few yards away.

The court then heard that at this point the accused and the other person she was with made good their escape in a waiting car with the items mentioned in the charge.

Pindar said that after the incident, the VC and others went to the home of the accused where the tape deck, car battery and equalizer were recovered.

Robinson was later arrested and charged.

The prosecution objected to the accused being admitted to bail, stating that the offence is a serious one. The prosecution contended too that since the two are known to each other, the accused may want to interfere with the VC.

When asked for her address, Robinson told the magistrate that she moved to her present location about two months ago where she is a caretaker for the place but doesn’t know the lot number.

The unrepresented Robinson was later remanded to prison. She was ordered to return to court on June 30 for statements.

Around the Web