Essequibo man denies passport, $200,000 theft from Bagotstown car

A man accused of stealing a video camera, a laptop and other items valued $200,000 from another man’s car at Bagotstown, East Bank Demerara,  was yesterday granted bail in the sum of $100,000 when he appeared before acting Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry.

The allegation against Errol Adams is that on June 23 at Georgetown, he stole a video camera, a laptop, a charger, a Canadian passport and other items valued $200,000, property of Siridat Eknath Bactowar.

The Essequibo resident denied the charge when it was read to him at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court.

In presenting the facts of the case, Police Sergeant Vishnu Hunt told the court that on the day in question, the virtual complainant (VC) had parked his vehicle near a Bagotstown snackette to purchase something to eat when the incident occurred.

According to Hunt, the items were in the car when the VC left but upon his return the sergeant related to the court that the items were missing.

The court then heard that subsequent investigations by the police led to the arrest of Adams in whose possession the passport was found.

When given a chance to speak, the accused said that he is innocent of the charge levelled against him and that he had journeyed to Georgetown from his Essequibo home to attend his brother-in-law’s funeral when he was picked up by the police and slapped with the charge.

According to Adams, he was travelling in a car with his cousin when they were intercepted by the police for questioning about tints on the vehicle. Subsequent to that the defendant said that he was arrested and charged with stealing the items.

The prosecution had no objection to the accused being granted bail but requested that it be set in a substantial sum to ensure he returns to court to stand trial.

After listening to the case, the acting chief magistrate informed the accused that his pre-trial liberty would be granted on condition that he reports to the CID Headquarters, Eve Leary on Mondays and Fridays at 9:00 am.

The matter was then transferred to the Providence Magistrates’ Court for today.

Around the Web