Workers stole $1M from boss, told him they were robbed

-court hears

Two men accused of stealing $1M from their employer, after initially reporting that they had been robbed, were yesterday admitted to bail in the sum of $250,000 by  acting Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry.

The allegation against Andrew Young and Courtney Bobb is that on July 5, at Georgetown, being employed as a clerk or servant by Linden Conway, they stole $1M from him.

Young, 22, of 2018 Section ‘C’ Diamond Housing Scheme and Bobb, of Laing Avenue, were not required to plead to the charge of larceny by clerk or servant when it was read to them at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court.

In presenting the facts of the case, the prosecution said that on the day in question at about 10am, the accused were asked by Conway to collect the money from Mohamed’s Enterprise and they returned to him saying that they had been robbed and relieved of the cash.

The prosecution then related to the court that the matter was reported to the police and after investigations were conducted, the men admitted to stealing the money. They were later arrested and charged for the offence.

The court was also told that the cash had been recovered and is lodged at the police station.

Young’s attorney made an application for his client to be admitted to reasonable bail, saying he had no antecedents, posed no risk of flight, had a fixed address and had been cooperating with the police investigations. Bobb was unrepresented by counsel.

The prosecution had no objection to the two being granted their pre-trial liberty, but requested that the bail be set in a substantial sum to ensure that they return to stand trial.

After listening to the case, the magistrate informed the accused that they would be granted bail on the condition that they report to the investigating rank at the Alberttown Police Station every Monday and Friday at 8:30am.

The matter was transferred to Court Two and will be called again on August 31.

Around the Web

Comments