Corentyne labourer succumbs to blow to head

Premchan ‘Copper’ Sugrim, 47, a labourer of No. 54 Village, Corentyne, who was hit in his head with an iron bar almost two weeks ago, succumbed to his injuries yesterday at the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPH).

His 15-year-old attacker was charged shortly after the incident with attempted murder and has been remanded to prison. He is likely to be charged with the capital offence.

Sugrim’s sister-in-law, Reshma Mangal, said after the July 10 attack, she had picked him up in an unconscious state and rushed him to the Skeldon Hospital. He was subsequently referred to the New Amsterdam Hospital and then the GPH.

Mangal said he never regained consciousness and his condition remained critical.

The teen allegedly hit Sugrim behind his head with the foot of an old iron bed.

The teen, who is related to Sugrim’s former wife, Phulmattie Ragnauth, 43 of No. 74 Village, was lodging at Sugrim’s house when the attack occurred.

It is alleged that Sugrim was lying in his hammock when the teen took a cutlass and chopped it down. This, it is reported, angered the man and he took away the cutlass.

Ragnauth’s sister, Kamini who prepared meals for the teen, said she saw Sugrim on the dam firing chops at the boy, who was barring them with a stick.

She shouted at them to stop but they refused and she told them that “they would murder mattee [each other]…” She went back inside and called Ragnauth, who left for the area immediately. Shortly after the two stopped and went their separate ways. Ragnauth said the teen claimed that he did not chop down the hammock and was blamed wrongfully.

Sugrim was subsequently attacked.

Meanwhile, the woman said she was separated from Sugrim over one year ago because of constant abuse. She pointed out that he would “run me to chop me” and sometimes tore her clothing. She made several reports to the police and even took the torn clothing to them but they did nothing.

The lad, who is originally from Stewartville, West Coast Demerara moved to Black Bush Polder (BBP) with his mother some time ago. After the attack, he escaped to BBP and his mother took him to the No. 51 Police Station to report the matter.

Around the Web