A week has passed since the National Communication Network (NCN) pulled the radio serial Merundoi from its airwaves and there has been no official word from the state-run station on the reason for the decision or whether the drama would resume broadcast.
Head of the Merundoi local office Margaret Lawrence, who had said that after a meeting with NCN it was decided that the drama would be returned to the airwaves on Monday, last evening said she has been unable to get a response from NCN on the issue.
“I myself would like to know where this leaves us,” Lawrence said, when asked what the future holds for the drama.
She said repeated attempts to get an update from NCN on the issue have been futile.
Stabroek News has been attempting to get a comment from NCN since last week, but efforts to make contact with Programme Manager Martin Goolsarran have been futile.
The serial was pulled last Tuesday over a storyline that dealt with voter education. One day later, Lawrence had said that the matter was “amicably” resolved and described the situation as a “storm in a teacup.” She had declined to offer further comment but said that NCN and Merundoi would issue a joint press release.
Asked about the release, she said they agreed on a draft which was to be approved by NCN’s board, but since last week she has not seen the release again and is now not sure if and when it would be issued.
It is understood that the draft release said that NCN has certain policies that needed to be adhered to and that Merundoi had agreed to adhere to these. It is, however, understood that no changes were made to the show’s storyline.