Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Local Government and Regional Development Nigel Dharamlall said on Tuesday that work to the Good Hope/Lusignan Bridge which recently came to a halt was due to the contract being withdrawn from Bovell Construction Company for substandard work, the Government Information Agency (GINA) reported.
In an invited comment to GINA via telephone, the permanent secretary refuted claims made in an August 15 article in the Kaieteur News which stated that works to the Good Hope/Lusignan Bridge had been abandoned by the authorities.
The contract has since been re-awarded to Lall’s Construction Company and work will commence shortly.
Dharamlall assured that the work will be carried out in compliance with specifications relating to the terms and conditions of the contract.
According to GINA, he expressed appreciation that residents within the areas are monitoring works to ensure that contractors comply with contract requirements. This, he said, is necessary if contracts are to be done on a timely basis and in conformity with terms and conditions.
He also added that an investigation into the work by the ministry revealed that the materials used for the construction of the bridge were substandard and so measures will be put in place to safeguard from a recurrence of such a situation.