Allegedly wounded woman who refused to have sex

- court hears

A 44-year-old man who allegedly inflicted grievous bodily harm to a woman he had shared a relationship with was on Friday placed on $200,000 bail after he appeared before acting Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court.

The allegation is that on March 11 Shawn Fraser unlawfully and maliciously inflicted grievous bodily harm on Shelly Morton.

The accused who resides at Durban Street, Lodge, pleaded not guilty to the charge when it was read to him.

In presenting the facts to the court Prosecutor Lionel Harvey said that the two parties shared a relationship for three to four years and on the day in question after drinking at a shop, the accused invited the VC to his home where he demanded that she have sex with him. Harvey said that the woman refused and as a result the man became annoyed and dealt the VC a slap.

He also told the court that the accused then harmed himself with a cutlass and dealt the woman several chops and she had to be taken to the hospital where she was an inpatient for about three days.

Harvey added that after recovering from her condition  the woman reported the matter at the police station.

The attorney representing Fraser told the court that  on the day of the incident the VC had a knife and was attacking the defendant and while doing so she hurt herself.

He also stated that she saw the accused with his `child mother’ and that sparked an issue.

The attorney said further that his client had sent the VC a letter stating that she should not come to his home because he did not want any problems with her.

When given a chance to speak the accused, while pointing to his foot, said  that the VC chopped him but he never reported the matter to the police station.

The prosecution objected to bail stating that if the defendant is granted  bail it is likely that he will interfere with the VC and would not return to court.

Harvey said further that there  were reports of compensation being offered to the VC and threats were also issued to her.

The magistrate, however, denied the application made by the prosecution and granted the accused bail on the condition that he reports to Constable Chapman every Friday at the East La Penitence  Police Station.

The man was placed on $200,000 bail and the matter will be called again on October 3 at Court 10.

Around the Web