Remanded over unlicensed pistol after fracas in National Park

A 25-year-old East Ruimveldt resident who was charged with the unlawful possession of a .45 Glock pistol along with four matching rounds of ammunition appeared yesterday at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court and was remanded to prison.

According to the particulars of the charge, on Saturday at Georgetown the accused had the firearm and ammunition in his possession while he was not the holder of a firearm licence in force at the time.  The defendant of Lot 169 East Ruimveldt pleaded not guilty to both of the charges after they were read to him by  acting Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry.

In narrating the police facts to the court, Prosecutor Lionel Harvey said that on the day in question, the defendant was seen by police officers in the National Park arguing with three other persons.

Harvey added that during the confrontation the defendant pulled a firearm from his waist and pointed it towards to his attackers. As a result the police intervened and the accused dropped the gun on the ground. He was arrested and charged, Harvey concluded.

Attorney-at-law Gordon Gilhuys who represented Chase informed the court that his client was kept in custody for more than seventy-two hours.

The attorney also told the court that the police gave a statement indicating that the gun was not found in his client’s possession but on the tarmac of the National Park. He added that the police officers informed his client that he would be released from prison because there is no evidence against him but  the man was still brought to court to answer a charge of which he has no knowledge. Gilhuys after stating the circumstances to the court pleaded that his client be placed on bail.

The application was however overruled by the magistrate who informed the attorney that he can take his application to the High Court if he so desires.

The prosecution was also ordered to launch an investigation to determine why the defendant was kept in custody for over 72 hours.

The matter will be called again on January 5.

Around the Web