First witness testifies at nude photos trial

The trial of Anand Narine, who is accused of circulating nude photos of his former wife, Babita Sarjou, began on Friday with the testimony of the first witness.

Narine is accused of exposing nude pictures of Sarjou to public view, to corrupt public morals.

On August 31, 2010, Narine is alleged to have plastered copies of a nude picture of his former wife in public, including on the fence of her place of employment, BK International. In August last year, months after Sarjou was hired at BK International, employees arrived at work to find printouts of a nude photograph of the woman pasted on the fence and on trucks belonging to the company. Some workers tore down the photographs in an attempt to shield the woman from embarrassment.

Babita Sarjou

Narine has denied the charge.

Parmanand Sharma, an employee at BK International, was the first of five prosecution witnesses who are due to testify. After being sworn in before Magistrate Geeta Chandan Edmond on Friday, Sharma told the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court that his friend, whom he met in the compound of the said company, had shown him the pictures. He said that he had taken them to Sarjou, who was in office at the time. After handing over the photographs to Sarjou, Sharma said that he left.

Defence counsel Maxwell McKay, in his cross-examination, asked the witness how many photos he saw. After Sharma said “about 13,” the attorney said that he had no further questions for him.

Meanwhile, Prosecutor Andrew Griffith told the court that Sarjou, who has been reported missing since the night before Diwali 2010, is one of the four remaining witnesses to testify.

He said that in her absence, her statement can be tendered but noted that advice would have to be sought from the Director of Public Prosecutions on the way forward regarding this.

After Friday’s hearing, the matter was adjourned to June 1 for continuation.

Comments  

GPSU rejects govt’s 2017 offer

The GPSU on the left and the government.(Ministry of the Presidency photo) The GPSU has rejected the government’s wage increase offer for 2017.

U.S. condemns Venezuelan elections as neither free nor fair

Venezuelan citizens wait in line at a polling station during a nationwide election for new governors in Caracas, Venezuela, October 15, 2017.

T&T ruling party suspends prominent businessman over attempted tender manipulation

Harry Ragoonanan (Trinidad Guardian) Prominent south businessman Harry Ragoonanan says he plans to challenge to his suspension from the People’s National Movement (PNM).

Five die in Corentyne crash

Five persons – including a mother and two of her children – were killed yesterday in a head-on collision between a car and a paddy truck along the Number 59 Village Public Road, Corentyne.

By ,

Man chopped to death at Cane Grove in land row

A confrontation over the use of land at Cane Grove Backdam, Mahaica, turned deadly yesterday when a father and son were attacked and chopped.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×