Accused ‘underwear bomber’ pleads guilty in US

DETROIT,  (Reuters) – The Nigerian man accused of  trying to use a bomb in his underwear to blow up a U.S.  airliner on Christmas Day 2009 pleaded guilty on Wednesday to  all charges against him and warned the United States could face  “a great calamity.”

Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab

Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, 24, entered the guilty pleas a  day after testimony began in his trial. Not-guilty pleas had  previously been entered on behalf of Abdulmutallab, who was  representing himself in the trial with help from an attorney.

Abdulmutallab, who is linked to al Qaeda, pleaded guilty to  eight felonies, including conspiracy to commit terrorism,  attempted murder and attempted use of a weapon of mass  destruction. He faces life in prison when sentenced Jan. 12.

Abdulmutallab told the judge he was fulfilling a “religious  duty” and participating in an act of jihad against the United  States. He said his planned attack was meant to avenge the  deaths of “innocent Muslims” in Yemen, Afghanistan and  elsewhere.

“The U.S. should be warned that if they continue to kill  and support those who kill innocent Muslims, then the U.S.  should await a great calamity … or God will strike them  directly,” he said.

Around the Web

Comments