Michael Jackson’s doctor too poor to fund appeal

LOS ANGELES, (Reuters) – Michael Jackson’s doctor yesterday asked for a publicly-funded lawyer to handle his appeal  on a manslaughter conviction in the pop star’s death, saying he  could not afford to pay for one himself.

Dr. Conrad Murray, serving a four-year jail term for the  involuntary manslaughter of Jackson in 2009, filed papers with  Los Angeles Superior Court saying he was unable to fund his  legal help any longer.

“The defendant is indigent and respectfully requests the  appointment of counsel on appeal,” the court papers said.

Murray said he wished to appeal both his conviction and his  sentence but so far has not filed formal papers with the  California appeals court.

The 58-year-old cardiologist had hired two lawyers for his  six-week trial, but he was convicted in November of involuntary  man-slaughter, or gross negligence, after admitting he gave the “Thriller” singer nightly doses of the surgical anesthetic propofol to help Jackson sleep.

Jackson, 50, died on June 25, 2009 of an overdose of  propofol and sedatives, just weeks before a series of planned  comeback concerts.

Around the Web

Comments