Private eyes add kick to FIFA corruption row

LONDON, (Reuters) – In the vicious infighting in  world soccer’s governing body FIFA, score a hat-trick for  private detectives.   
FIFA’s ethics committee said earlier this month it had hired  a former FBI chief to dig into allegations of corruption in the  organisation. But Reuters has learned that FIFA personalities accused of corruption, or who suspected others were corrupt, have also quietly hired private eyes in the past year.  
 
Reuters has confirmed that Qatar 2022, the Persian Gulf  organisation which won a hotly contested competition to host the World Cup 11 years from now, hired Kroll, a corporate  investigations firm, to investigate the “background, activities and reputation” of a former senior FIFA executive, as well as  allegations of bid collusion.  
 

Reynald Temarii

Other targets of private investigators’ inquiries have included journalists who have carried out some of the more sensational — and damaging — investigations of alleged FIFA  intrigue and corruption.  

A lawyer for Reynald Temarii, the Tahitian FIFA executive committee member who is serving a year-long ban from the federation for breaches of its ethics code, hired a private  investigator to dig into the background of reporters from  London’s Sunday Times. That newspaper’s allegations last year that Temarii was willing to trade his FIFA vote for cash led to his suspension.  
 
The private eye’s 24-page report, which Reuters has obtained, not only includes a detailed deconstruction — and purported rebuttal — of evidence gathered by Sunday Times journalists who posed as lobbying consultants, but also personal information about them. This includes home addresses, family information, foreign travel records, and details of previous  investigative work, including other fake identities the  reporters adopted for undercover “sting” operations.   
The report, compiled by Paris-based private investigator Jean-Charles Brisard, is codenamed “Project Airtime”. It also contains an extensive discussion and analysis of the Sunday Times “plot against M. Temarii” and alleges that an undercover video posted by the Sunday Times on its website last October was a “gross fabrication” containing “major cuts, edits and  falsifications of the original video by the Sunday Times.”  

Jean Charles Brisard

The report suggests that the Sunday Times investigation intended to influence the 2022 World Cup selection process, alleging that “the only two FIFA Committee members targeted by the plot had previously been identified by the Sunday Times as  potential voters for the English bid in 2018.”   

Brisard declined to comment. But in an e-mail to Reuters, Geraldine Lesieur, the Paris lawyer who represented Temarii, strongly defended the use of a private investigator to investigate the Sunday Times story.  
Our “investigation above all made it possible to demonstrate  precisely how they created a veritable … fabrication making it look like my client had said things he didn’t say during the  interview,” Lesieur wrote. She pointed out Temarii had been cleared by the FIFA ethics committee of the most serious corruption allegations against him, though he had been suspended  “for minor violations of ethics rules.”   
Sunday Times editor John Witherow said he was unaware of the investigator’s report, and was not surprised lawyers working for private clients would hire private detectives. But Witherow said he was surprised that private eyes would be hired to investigate “journalists who are investigating matters of public interest”.  

Witherow said that despite attempts by FIFA to “rubbish” Sunday Times reporting on corruption claims, the paper has not backed away from its published reports.   

Richard Caseby, the paper’s managing editor, said: “The claims that The Sunday Times ‘fabricated’ its evidence against Reynald Temarii are utterly untrue. There is no evidence  whatsoever to substantiate the claims. … The Sunday Times investigation was clear, fair and accurate and we fully complied with FIFA’s request for assistance in its investigation. We note that Mr Temarii is still under suspension by FIFA.”   
It is ironic that journalists at the Sunday Times, published  by Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp. , should be targeted: the  newspaper’s weekly tabloid stablemate, the News of the World, is  currently embroiled in a major police investigation into  allegations its journalists routinely hired private detectives  to hack into voicemail, and possibly e-mail, of British  politicians, celebrities, soccer stars, and members of the Royal family.   

There is no suggestion Brisard used any illegal methods to compile his report, and the information in it appears to have been gathered from public sources. Two people at the newspaper  said that some of the personal information, including the home address of a woman journalist who operated undercover, appeared to be inaccurate.   

But Andrew Jennings, a British author and freelance journalist who has made a career out of exposing alleged scandals at FIFA and other international sporting bodies, says he believes private investigators used illegal methods to gather information on him.   

Jennings told Reuters that before the FIFA uproar over the fact the 2022 World Cup went to Qatar, he ran across evidence that private investigators had managed to obtain some of his  confidential telephone and financial records.  

In “Foul”, a book he published in 2007, Jennings reported that investigators from British Telecom had discovered that “day after day, from mid-morning to mid-evening in 2003, callers posing as me had assailed call-centres, attempting to obtain details of my international calls.”   
Jennings told Reuters he also had reason to believe that his bank accounts were accessed. He never got proof of who was responsible.   
    
     “PROJECT SELEUCIA”   
Peter Hargitay, a former adviser to FIFA president Sepp Blatter, said he had not heard of FIFA executives, delegates or  bidders hiring private detectives in the past.   

However, FIFA itself, in public announcements and an e-mail to Reuters, confirmed that its ethics committee had hired Freeh Group International Europe, a private investigations firm founded by Louis Freeh, a former director of the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigations. Freeh’s firm has been looking into allegations that officials from CONCACAF, soccer’s governing  body in north and central America and the Caribbean, were  offered or given bribes in exchange for votes.   

FIFA said that in the wake of the resignation of long-time Caribbean soccer overlord Jack Warner from his position as a Vice President, Warner himself will no longer be subject to  investigation by the Ethics Committee as “an accused party” but  ill still be “investigated as a witness.”   
FIFA said it will continue to examine Warner’s role in the alleged bribery scandal, that Warner had pledged to cooperate  with the investigation, and that he had not been offered any  kind of “immunity.” However, it did not answer an inquiry from  Reuters as to whether the Freeh Group would refer any evidence  it might uncover of criminal activity to police or judicial  authorities.  
 
Tages-Anzeiger, a German-language Swiss newspaper, reported last November that Qatar 2022, the Persian Gulf emirate’s World Cup bid organisation, had hired the prominent international investigations group Kroll.
  
The newspaper published part of a coversheet of a Kroll investigation codenamed “Project Seleucia” which said that “in support of the Qatar 2022 Bid Committee”, Kroll had undertaken  “in-depth source inquiries into the backgrounds, activities and  reputations” of former FIFA secretary-general Michel  Zen-Ruffinen and of a former FIFA executive committee member  from Mali.
 
A source familiar with Kroll’s work for the Qataris told Reuters the purpose of the firm’s investigation was to help Qatar understand the “competitive environment” the emirate was  facing in the 2022 World Cup.

Around the Web

Comments