False start rule draws ire after Bolt departs

DAEGU, South Korea, Aug 28 (Reuters) – A controversial false  start rule that sent world record holder Usain Bolt crashing out  of the world championships on Sunday drew immediate fire from  world 100 metres silver medallist Walter Dix.

The defending champion was ejected from the 100 metres final  after false-starting. Athletes who false start are immediately  disqualified under a new rule introduced by the world governing  body last year.

“That false start (rule) is killing us,” Dix told reporters  after finishing second to Jamaican Yohan Blake. “Hopefully it  will change by London (2012 Olympics).”

Bolt did not make a protest after his obvious mistake,  removing his vest and leaving the track.  “I was shocked,” said Blake, one of the Olympic champion’s  Jamaican training partners. “I didn’t expect that of him.  I  just had to keep my head and get it done for Jamaica.”  Although Blake said he had no problem with the rule, it has  drawn the ire of a number of world class sprinters.

Most, including bronze medallist Kim Collins of Saint Kitts  and Nevis, want the rule overturned or modified.
“At least give the field one false start,” Collins said.

“That was the previous rule. The first false start went  against the field with the offending party tossed out after the  next.”

Around the Web

Comments