Old Fort, Flora GCC capture men’s women’s titles

Old Fort, who defeated GCC 2-1 in an enthralling final, are now the men’s while Flora GCC, who made light work of T&T’s Malvern with a 4-1 victory margin, are the women’s champions.

The veterans’ men’s team title was won by Fatima  who steamrolled Old Old Fort 6-1.

The victorious Flora GCC team pose with their championship trophy and cheque at the National Gymnasium. (Aubrey Crawford photo)

The men took the US $1000 top prize while the women and veterans pocketed US $500 each.

The men’s final from the inception was going to be a humdinger after GCC had defeated pre-tournament favourites and former champions Hikers 5-4 in the first men’s semi-final and Old Fort beat Malvern 6-4 in the second semi-final. Old Fort and GCC played intensely and at a fast pace.

However, the difference between the teams  was the set pieces of the Old Fort detail that gave GCC’s goalie Michael Xavier a lot of work to save goals. Ascofu Simon struck first in the fifth minute for Old Fort before Kevin Spencer equalised in the 15th minute.

In the second half there was never a dull moment with the fans in the stands on their feet chanting and cheering every spectacular play, close missed chance or a good save by the goalies. Aderemi Simon however, broke the deadlock in the 27th minute.

In the women’s game GCC controlled the pace of the game and for the first time in the tournament Malvern looked out of sorts. Karensa Fernandes opened the scoring in the fourth minute and Trisha Woodroffe (5th and 35th) and the exciting Gabriella Xavier (30th) put the icing on the cake.

In the veterans game Dean Nieves (15th, 36th, 39th) led the scorers. He got support from Nicholas Wren (6th), Colin Young (22nd) and Desmond Dougall (34th). Old Old Fort’s Dexter Wyles netted the consolation goal in the 26th minute.

Men’s champions Old Fort went into last night’s final match as a confident bunch. (Aubrey Crawford photo)

Meanwhile, Old Old Fort beat GCC Veterans 5-4 in their semi final after extra time. The teams were locked 4-4 after 40 minutes of regulation time.

Gavin Hope scored the crucial goal in the 44th minute.

Prior to that Wyles had scored twice in the 22nd and 38th minutes while goals had come Selwin King (8th) and Chris low-Koan (36th).

Devin Hooper (10th, 19th 25th) scored a hat-trick and Alan Fernandes (32) chipped in with one goal.

Fatima’s Gerard Mahabir (3rd and 22nd), Roger Dawson (15th and 30th), Paul Pantin (20th and 29th), Colin Young (9th) and Rolph Young (13th) were the scorers in their team’s 8-2 routing of Hic…Hic…Hickers, whose scorer was Ralph Watson (8th and 23rd).

Lisa Marcano (11th and 23rd) scored twice in her team’s 2-0 win over Bokra while Marzena Fiedtkou (26th), Woodroofe (27th), Karensa Fernandes and Tricia Fiedtkou (37th) scored for Flora GCC in that team’s 4-0 win over Hikers.

In the first men’s semi-final Hikers sharpshooter Robert France was kept quiet as his team was edged out of contention. GCC’s Orland Semple (19th and 37th) netted a double while he got support Spencer (5th), Shad Fernandes (17th) and Steven Xavier (24th).

Andrew (2nd), Colonel Heywood (9th), Shane (16th) and Devin Munroe (22nd) found the back of the net for Hikers.

In the second men’s semi-final Jonathan Roberts (7th and 18th) and John Abrams (16th and 19th) were the lead scorers with two goals apiece and they got support from Aderemiu Simon (1st), Jason De Santos (6th) and Wayne St. Jules (13th). Roger Daniels (3rd), Darryl Hume (7th), Wayne Legerton (15th) and Tanq Marcano (37th) scored for Malvern.

Around the Web