(Jamaica Gleaner) An opposition legislator in St. Vincent is calling for new regulations after a Jamaican artiste refused to perform in the country last weekend because the show organiser was unable to meet his contractual obligations to the singer.
Thousands of patrons reportedly left the Victoria Park on Sunday after they were informed that Jah Cure would not be performing.
It is reported that they paid EC$50 to see the artiste.
The promoter said while he had paid Jah Cure US$15,000 as a deposit, he was unable to make the final payment because 2,000 bogus tickets had been collected at the gate to the park.
St. Vincent’s opposition spokesman on trade, industry and commerce, St. Clair Leacock, who was also at the show, says there is a need for tighter regulations, if the promoter was ripped off, as is being alleged.
Last month, authorities in St. Lucia said they were considering implementing more stringent measures after dancehall artiste Mavado and other Jamaican entertainers failed to show up for an event in that country.