(Trinidad Guardian) Detectives investigating the deaths of two men in separate incidents in San Juan on Monday afternoon believe they were both executed. The murder toll stood yesterday at 143 for the year compared with 148 for the same period last year. In the first incident Keston Charles, 36, a security guard, of Lyndon Street, Curepe, was shot once in the head.
A report said around 6.30 pm, Charles was seated in his parked vehicle talking with a friend when they were approached by two gunmen. The men ordered Charles out of the vehicle and shot him. He collapsed on the ground while the gunmen ran down the street and escaped in a waiting vehicle. Charles was taken to the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex at Mt Hope where he later died.
Investigators said Charles had a firearm and attempted to draw it when he was shot. Meanwhile, no arrests have been made in connection with the death of Mark Hernandez at Boundary Road in San Juan. Hernandez, a debt collector of a dry goods store who lived at Williams Street, San Juan, was liming a short distance from his home with another man at around 3.30 pm when they were approached by a burgundy Nissan Almera car.
Two gunmen alighted from the vehicle and opened fire on Hernandez and his friend. They ran a short distance away but Hernandez collapsed with gunshot wounds. He was taken to the hospital where he succumbed to his injuries, police said. Investigators said Hernandez’ death was a hit but were baffled by the motive. Homicide officers are continuing investigations.