T&T Chinese businessman dies day after being shot

(Trinidad Express) The death of a Chinese businessman and the murder of a Tobago resident have pushed the murder toll to 223 for the year so far.

In the first incident China-born businessman Yang Jiang Hua, 60, died at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex at Mt Hope late last Friday evening, one day after being shot by bandits during a robbery at his business place, Tiger’s Chinese Restaurant and Bar at Cunupia.

Yang Jiang Hua was warded at the hospital in a critical condition last Thursday following the robbery, which police said happened sometime after 9 p.m.

His wife Wu Xiu Hua, also 60, died the same day after being shot in the chest by bandits who made off with a laptop and a few hundred dollars.

A relative of the family who did not want to be identified said the couple always kept to themselves and were nice people.

The relative said Yang Jiang Hua was a massage therapist who helped construct a school in the Longdenville area.

Police said around 9.45 last Thursday night, Yang Jiang Hua and his wife were at their business place, located on the ground floor of their home off the Southern Main Road, Cunupia when gunmen entered the restaurant and without warning, shot the two Chinese nationals. After the shooting the men then took the computer and cash before escaping.

In the second killing 39-year-old Tobago resident Lincoln Ammon was found slumped in a drain along Seventh Avenue, Barataria late last Friday night.

Ammon of Cocowatie Trace, Mason Hall, Tobago, was driving his pickup along the Eastern Main Road when he stopped near Seventh Avenue and exited the vehicle. Ammon reportedly fell into the drain nearby and was rushed to the Port of Spain General Hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.

Upon checking police noticed several bullet holes to the right side of the vehicle.

Speaking at her home in Mason Hall, Tobago yesterday, Ammon’s sister Dianne Antoine said she was shocked over the incident.

Antoine said she came home after the Heritage Festival last Friday night and was relaxing when she received a call from her mother informing her that her brother had died.

Ammon, she said, was a labourer at the Scarborough Regional Hospital and a fruit vendor.

He had two children and one on the way.