Doubts on feasibility of Suriname sugar factory

(de Ware Tijd) TAMANSARIE/PARAMARIBO – People were elated on the prospects of a new sugar factory in the District of Commewijne. Chinese entrepreneur Qu Bolin had boldly announced that he would invest in the industry, despite the fact that he knows nothing of sugar manufacturing.

His expert would be former Mariënburg estate worker Kadin Wansantana. But although the bill board announcing the Commewijne Sugar Industry was unveiled enthusiastically, the new company is still only on paper. The investment of US$ 5 million would not be small. De Ware Tijd learnt from investor Qu Bolin that only part of the funds, approximately US$ 150,000), would be his. The remainder of the sum would come from Chinese investors including Wu Zu Yuan, Zhen Ai Min, Ye Shao Wei and Zhong Guoren.

However, these investors are shrouded in mysteries. Qu Bolin has neither name nor address linked to these investors. He explains that small enterprises in China do not have to register with the authorities. The Commewijne Sugar Industry was established last year in September. Officially three shareholders have signed the register at the Chamber of Commerce (KKF): Qu Bolin, Wangsantana and Liu Jibiao. However, Wangsantana claims that Jibiao has been kicked out because he wanted to boss the others around. Qu’s son is now the official third shareholder.

The company is registered at KKF with a capital of SRD 5,000, which is quite low for a million dollar investment. Wangasanta explains that it was a mistake which will be righted. The company’s business plan states that it will produce sugar for the local market for which it has been awarded 1,000 hectares of land by the Ministry of Zonal Planning. If the company is successful it will get an additional 4,000 hectares. The factory will be built on the former estate at Siparipabo. ‘Within five years we will be producing sugar,’ Wangasanta says. ‘We’ll be producing toilet paper and ethanol from the residual.’

Comments  

Woman suspected of posting hammocks saturated in cocaine

The Customs Anti-Narcotic Unit (CANU) today said that Tiffini Collison, 26-years-old of F 21 Samaan Street Guyhoc Park, Georgetown posted four hammocks suspected to have been saturated with cocaine to an address in the USA through an International Courier Service in Georgetown sometime last week.

President meets Chevron official

President David Granger (centre) today met  President of Chevron Africa and Latin America Exploration and Production Company,  Clay Neff (third from right).

Ex-U.S. Rep. Weiner sentenced to 21 months in teen ‘sexting’ case

Anthony Weiner   NEW YORK,  (Reuters) – Former U.S. Congressman Anthony Weiner was sentenced to 21 months in prison today for sending sexually explicit messages to a 15-year-old girl, setting off a scandal that played a role in the 2016 U.S.

Albion man killed in robbery on Freeman St, two brothers injured

A family’s preparation for a memorial service ended tragically early yesterday morning when bandits stormed into their home in  East La Penitence and discharged several rounds, fatally wounding a man and injuring two of his brothers.

Trinis rescued in Dominica after living in car for four days

(Trinidad Express) The Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force and Coast Guard have been at the helm of a dramatic rescue of a family of four, including two small children, who lived in a car for four days after their home in Dominica was destroyed last Monday by Hurricane Maria.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×