Grenada PM in move to save govt

(Jamaica Gleaner) Grenada’s Prime Minister Tillman Thomas has made a calculated move to save his Government from toppling.

Thomas who is facing a no-confidence motion has written to the Governor General Sir Carlyle Glean asking that the Parliament be prorogued sixth months early.

The seventh Grenadian Parliament opened on March 29 this year and was scheduled to come to an end on March 31 next year.

Thomas’ decision to cut the life of the Parliamentary year means that when the next session begins, the no confidence motion against him would have fallen off Parliament’s Order Paper and would need to re-tabled if it is ever to be debated.

A brief statement from Office of the Prime Minister this morning said a date for the commencement of the new session of the eighth Parliament will be announced.

The Parliament has not sat since August, shortly after the no-confidence motion was tabled by Government backbencher, Karl Hood.

In May, Hood resigned as Minister of Foreign Affairs in Thomas’ troubled Government which has an 11-4 majority.

Hood is one of four MPs of the National Democratic Congress sitting as backbenchers in the House of Representatives.

There was widespread speculation that those four backbenchers as well as the four Opposition members would have teamed up to provide the eight-vote majority needed to push through the no-confidence motion.

It’s why there had been increasing calls for the Government to convene the Parliamentary sittings.

“The people have long gone back to work after the carnival. As MPs we must also go back to work,” Government backbencher Peter David is quoted as saying in the Grenadian media.

“The motion presently before the parliament should be given the opportunity to be debated in the House of Representatives.”

The Opposition Leader Dr Keith Mitchell had also called for the debate on the motion saying the failure to have it was entirely contrary to the principles and practices of democracy which risks damaging Grenada’s image in the international and regional community.

Comments  

Hurricane Maria blasts Puerto Rico with high winds and flooding

People walk on the street next to debris after the area was hit by Hurricane Maria in Guayama, Puerto Rico September 20, 2017.

Protest at Victoria over state of roads

Residents of Victoria on the East Coast of Demerara this morning came out with placards protesting the deplorable state of their main access road and are calling on the Government to urgently intervene.

Victoria residents in roads protest

Some of the residents protesting this morning. Residents of Victoria on the East Coast of Demerara this morning came out with placards protesting the deplorable state of their main access road and are calling on the Government to urgently intervene.

At least seven reported dead in Dominica from hurricane hit

Dominica is reporting that at least seven persons were killed after Hurricane Maria ravaged the island on Tuesday.

Pakistan batsman Latif handed five-year fixing ban

LAHORE, (Reuters) – Batsman Khalid Latif has been handed a five-year ban for his role in a spot-fixing scandal during this year’s Pakistan Super League (PSL), the country’s cricket board said on Wednesday.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×