Foreign workers arrive for Suriname refinery project

(de Ware Tijd) PARAMARIBO – The first group of foreign workers for the Staatsolie Refinery Expansion Project (REP) are gradually arriving. Project Manager Tom Ketele reports that last week 24 Vietnamese arrived. ‘By the end of the year the group of foreigners will have grown to 150.’
By the end of 2013 between 1,500 and 2,000 workers will be at Tout Lui Faut, half of whom will be specialists from Vietnam and the Philippines. ‘These guest workers will gradually leave again when the refinery is completed by mid 2014. The purification facilities have to be operational by the end of September 2014,’ Ketele adds. He denies allegations about delays in finding foreign workers. ‘We have a steady flow of local and foreign workers, without any restrictions. We have good agreements with the Ministries of Foreign Affairs (Buza) and Labor (ATM) to have procedures go smoothly. In some cases special procedures were put in place.’
There is a joint commission of Staatsolie and the Ministries to check into the foreign workers’ case. Several speedy procedures for visa, work and residence permits have been made. In addition to Buza and ATM, the Ministry of Justice and Police lends a helping hand. The majority of the foreigners will be housed opposite the existing refinery in specially constructed barracks. Four main contractors are responsible for the project. The foreign workers will be in charge of the mechanical and electronic works. MNO Vervat and Ballast Nedam, two companies already known in Suriname, will hire mainly local workers.

Comments  

Trump allies say Mueller unlawfully obtained thousands of emails

WASHINGTON, (Reuters) – An organization established for U.S. President Donald Trump’s transition to the White House said on Saturday the special counsel investigating allegations of Russian meddling in the 2016 election had obtained tens of thousands of emails unlawfully.

Guyana lost out on US$5M investment -Baron Foods Head

A recent US$5M investment in Trinidad by condiments and sauces producer, Baron Foods should have been Guyana’s venture but owner Ronald Ramjattan believes politics got into the way and he was forced to turn to the Twin-Island Republic.

By ,

If re-elected PPP/C gov’t would give retrenched sugar workers monthly sum until they find jobs

Canje sugar workers yesterday afternoon were told by  Opposition Leader, Bharrat Jagdeo that if the PPP/C is re-elected in 2020 to office the workers will benefit from the budget by way of a monthly payment until they are re-employed.

Ogle man robbed of car at gunpoint on East St

A construction worker was on Thursday evening robbed of his Toyota Premio motorcar and assaulted by a lone gunman shortly after arriving at his brother’s East Street, Georgetown premises.

Police awaiting legal advice on one matter involving Bishops’ teacher

The Guyana Police Force is currently awaiting advice from the Director of Public Prosecutions on the way forward on one of the matters involving Bishops’ High School teacher Coen Jackson.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×