Suriname projecting major job expansion from gold investments

(de Ware Tijd) PARAMARIBO – The mega gold investments to be made in Brokopondo and East Suriname will cause enormous shifts in the labor market. “I’m afraid we won’t have enough workers to fill the jobs that will be created,” Minister Jim Hok of Natural Resources (NH) says about the negotiations with multinationals Iamgold and Newmont.
“I’m not that concerned,” says Freddy Brug, chairman of the union representing Iamgold’s 900 workers. The country’s biggest gold producer already has an enormous demand for workers, and finding qualified ones could be a problem. The upcoming operation in the Nassau Mountains area will mean stiff competition for Iamgold. “If Iamgold is not careful, they will lose their workers to Newmont, which may offer attractive benefits to employees. Employers from other sectors must be careful; even the government might suffer a ‘brain drain’ when civil servants abandon their jobs for the gold mining industry,” Brug predicts.
In the case of Iamgold alone, the number of jobs could increase to 2,400. In any case, Minister Hok is pleased with the negotiations so far. Iamgold is planning to invest around US$ 700 million to expand the Rosebel Goldmines (RGM). The operation by Newmont, which will be carried out in cooperation with aluminum giant Alcoa is to cost around US$ 800 million and will be at least as big as RGM’s. Both companies want their investments through by 2014 and be fully operational by then.
“Both the government and the companies want to reach an agreement as soon as possible,” Hok adds. He also emphasizes that the state wants a bigger cut in the operations, including an opportunity for both the government and local investors to invest in the Nassau Mountains operations. Meanwhile, Iamgold has significantly increased its production capacity for the second half of 2012 by installing bigger and more machines. The area in which Newmont operates has amply proven gold reserves.

Comments  

Trump allies say Mueller unlawfully obtained thousands of emails

WASHINGTON, (Reuters) – An organization established for U.S. President Donald Trump’s transition to the White House said on Saturday the special counsel investigating allegations of Russian meddling in the 2016 election had obtained tens of thousands of emails unlawfully.

Guyana lost out on US$5M investment -Baron Foods Head

A recent US$5M investment in Trinidad by condiments and sauces producer, Baron Foods should have been Guyana’s venture but owner Ronald Ramjattan believes politics got into the way and he was forced to turn to the Twin-Island Republic.

By ,

If re-elected PPP/C gov’t would give retrenched sugar workers monthly sum until they find jobs

Canje sugar workers yesterday afternoon were told by  Opposition Leader, Bharrat Jagdeo that if the PPP/C is re-elected in 2020 to office the workers will benefit from the budget by way of a monthly payment until they are re-employed.

Ogle man robbed of car at gunpoint on East St

A construction worker was on Thursday evening robbed of his Toyota Premio motorcar and assaulted by a lone gunman shortly after arriving at his brother’s East Street, Georgetown premises.

Police awaiting legal advice on one matter involving Bishops’ teacher

The Guyana Police Force is currently awaiting advice from the Director of Public Prosecutions on the way forward on one of the matters involving Bishops’ High School teacher Coen Jackson.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×