Two charged over damaging van, tyres in Agricola unrest

In the first charges stemming from last month’s unrest in Agricola, two men were yesterday accused of property damage amounting to millions.

Dwayne Gibson, 29, of Lot 133 Nelson Street, Mocha, East Bank Demerara and Nigel Garraway, 29, of lot 33 La Parfaite Harmonie, West Bank Demerara were charged separately before Magistrate Sueanna Lovell at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court.

Dwayne Gibson

Gibson, a technician, was charged with unlawfully and maliciously damaging a Ford motor van, valued at $2.7 million and tyres valued at $2.3 million on October 11, in Agricola. He pleaded not guilty.

Garraway, a University of Guyana (UG) student reading for a degree in International Relations, was charged with unlawfully and maliciously damaging tyres, valued $2.3 million and like Gibson he denied the charge.

Both the van and the tyres were the property of Ray ‘Tony’ Rutherford.

Attorney Joseph Harmon, who represented both men, told the court that they were innocent.

Harmon stated that Garraway was in his vehicle on the East Bank road, travelling towards the University of Guyana to sit an examination when he was stopped by a crowd at the head of the Agricola junction and was asked by police officers to step out of his car.

He said he was subsequently arrested.

Gibson, the lawyer stated, was on duty with a contractor in the area when he heard about the protest on the main road. He added that while looking at the protest, Gibson was apprehended by officers and charged with property damage.

Neither of the men, Harmon said, was identified in a line-up by witnesses who recounted what transpired on the date in question. He claimed that police told him that they had surveillance footage showing his clients committing acts.

He also said that it was a shame that Rutherford was not at the court hearing to give his side of the story.

Prosecutor Alexis David-Hosanna said they received information that there are surveillance tapes of the unrest but they have not viewed them as yet.

She also said Rutherford was not aware of the court hearing, which explained his absence.

Nigel Garraway

Harmon asked the court for reasonable bail, explaining that both men were released on $50,000 station bail prior to their court appearance and they did not pose a flight risk.

The prosecution had no objections to bail but asked that it be set at a substantial amount due to the seriousness of the offence committed by the accused.

For Gibson, bail was set in the sum of $150,000 each for both charges and for Garraway bail was set at $75,000. The cases are to be called for reports and fixtures on November 21 at Court Five.

Comments  

Quarter-final curse fells Nadal again as Cilic advances

MELBOURNE,  (Reuters) – Rafa Nadal’s Australian Open quarter-final curse struck again on Tuesday, an injury forcing the top seed to retire in the fifth set against Croatia’s Marin Cilic.

Hundreds more sugar workers to be laid off

Several hundred more sugar workers are expected to be laid off from the Skeldon, Rose Hall, and East Demerara estates by next month and the Guyana Agricultural and General Workers Union (GAWU) yesterday urged that the decision be reviewed.

Order signed for setting up of telecoms agency

The commencement order establishing the Telecommunications Agency was signed last Friday, in anticipation of the liberalisation of the telecoms sector, Minister of Public Tele-communications Cathy Hughes announced yesterday.

Soesdyke woman gets 4 years, $14M fine over cocaine in ceiling

Nickela Craig-Singh, the woman who was arrested last Friday after the Customs Anti-Narcotic Unit (CANU) found over 10 pounds of cocaine in the ceiling of her Soesdyke home, was yesterday sentenced to four years in prison and fined over $14 million after pleading guilty to possession of the drug.

Public Information Director regrets Facebook criticism of Indian descent conference

Almost two weeks after he made a Facebook post in which he questioned whether the Indian High Commission was interfering in Guyana’s internal affairs, Director of Public Information Imran Khan yesterday said that he regretted the “furore” his post created and admitted that it should have benefitted from “greater elegance or not have been made”.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×