60% of lots allocated in first re-migrant scheme

Minister of Housing and Water Irfaan Ali says over 600 house lots have already been allocated in the re-migrant scheme launched earlier this year.

Phase One of the pilot re-migrant scheme has seen 1,000 lots being developed aback the National Stadium and Ali said that the remaining 400 will soon be allocated, the Government Information Agency (GINA) has reported.

“There is now a high demand for more lands from re-migrants, with the increasing number of applications which we are receiving… this shows that persons want to come home and this is because they have confidence in Guyana’s economy,” Ali said.

During the pilot project, the ministry anticipated 500 applications but it received over 3,000 applications and is now working to complete the first phase and start the second phase.

GINA added that the ministry is embarking on a housing programme with the private sector to target young professionals, with the offer of a three-bedroom house constructed for $8.5M.

The ministry is currently in talks with the private sector to realise the project, which will entail building the house and providing land as a package offer for the said sum.

GINA also said that the ministry is currently developing schemes at Mon Repos and Good Hope and Phase Three in Providence, Herstelling and Mocha Arcadia, Region Four and Mahdia in Region Eight to add to the developed housing schemes across the country. At Providence, $120M had been budgeted for the construction of a well, which will serve existing and new schemes along the East Bank corridor.

Comments  

Exxon set to begin drilling new well

Just days after its major oil find at the offshore Ranger-1 site in the Stabroek Block, ExxonMobil’s subsidiary, EEPGL is preparing to begin drilling at the Pacora-1 well site.

US government shuts down as Trump feuds with Democrats

WASHINGTON, (Reuters) – The world’s most powerful government shut down today after President Donald Trump and the U.S.

House approves $1.93 billion for sugar severance

-number of redundant workers at 4,763 The National Assembly yesterday approved nearly $2 billion to facilitate full severance by the end of January for a little more than 1,600 of the 4,763 sugar workers that have been made redundant.

Gov’t meets unions on sugar industry’s future

Following criticism over government’s handling of the restructuring of the Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo), President David Granger and members of his Cabinet yesterday met with the leadership of the Guyana Agricultural and General Workers’ Union (GAWU) and the National Association of Agricultural, Commercial and Industrial Employees (NAACIE) to discuss the future of the sugar industry.

Baramita mother, 18, succumbs after beating by partner

An 18-year-old woman succumbed on Thursday evening, one day after she was allegedly beaten by her common-law husband during an argument at Baramita, in Region One (Barima-Waini).

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×