AFC wants compensation for flooded Cotton Tree farmers

The AFC says that flooded Cotton Tree Village cash crop farmers should be compensated for their losses after the persistent flooding of their farmlands caused by the blocking of a sluice at D’Edward Village and made worse by the cutting of dams nearby by the Region Five Regional Democratic Council (RDC).

Farmers from Cotton Tree Village, whose crops were lost in the recent flood, were present at the AFC news conference on Wednesday, where the party indicated that it will support the compensation for farmers.

Minister of Agriculture Dr. Leslie Ramsammy had told Stabroek News that the closure of the sluice was done to fix an underground problem, which could have resulted in major flooding to the entire area and residents were aware that the sluice would be closed. “This wasn’t something done to affect anyone, it was done to protect them. We didn’t do it with any negative intentions, we did what was necessary because we are right at the mouth of the Berbice River and if it had collapsed wow that could have been major,” Ramsammy had said on Monday.

The farmers had complained that since sometime last year there was a sea dam breach nearby, which resulted in saltwater seeping into their farmlands, killing almost 50% of their seedlings. They also said that the sluice that would aid in draining of the water off the land was closed sometime in September by the Mahaica, Mahaicony, Abary (MMA) scheme and the RDC, without their notification. The saltwater coupled with the backed up rainfall flooded their farms, causing them severe losses, they had said.

Comments  

Exxon set to begin drilling new well

Just days after its major oil find at the offshore Ranger-1 site in the Stabroek Block, ExxonMobil’s subsidiary, EEPGL is preparing to begin drilling at the Pacora-1 well site.

US government shuts down as Trump feuds with Democrats

WASHINGTON, (Reuters) – The world’s most powerful government shut down today after President Donald Trump and the U.S.

House approves $1.93 billion for sugar severance

-number of redundant workers at 4,763 The National Assembly yesterday approved nearly $2 billion to facilitate full severance by the end of January for a little more than 1,600 of the 4,763 sugar workers that have been made redundant.

Gov’t meets unions on sugar industry’s future

Following criticism over government’s handling of the restructuring of the Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo), President David Granger and members of his Cabinet yesterday met with the leadership of the Guyana Agricultural and General Workers’ Union (GAWU) and the National Association of Agricultural, Commercial and Industrial Employees (NAACIE) to discuss the future of the sugar industry.

Baramita mother, 18, succumbs after beating by partner

An 18-year-old woman succumbed on Thursday evening, one day after she was allegedly beaten by her common-law husband during an argument at Baramita, in Region One (Barima-Waini).

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×