Mournful Christmas for Dameon Belgrave’s family

As some families are making preparations for the holiday season celebrations, the family of Dameon Belgrave, who was killed in October this year, is stilling mourning his loss.

Donna Sulker, his mother, said this time of the year brings back fond memories of her eldest child. She said she feels depressed and frustrated with the relevant authorities for taking so long to charge the three policemen who shot her son.

Belgrave of Middle Street, Pouderoyen, West Bank Demerara, was fatally shot near the White Castle Fish Shop on Hadfield Street, on October 6 by a policeman, a day before his 22nd birthday.

The police had been in hot pursuit of a car and fired on it causing a bullet to hit Belgrave who was in a pre-birthday celebration with friends. The Chambers of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) had sent the Belgrave’s file to the police seeking clarifications on a few issues after Chairman of the Police Complaints Authority, Cecil Kennard, made his comments.

Dameon Belgrave

Regarding the position of her son’s file, Sulker told this newspaper yesterday that “I am getting frustrated with the DPP. Why she taking so long? I don’t know what to say. It seems like they want I go out in the streets and behave bad.”

While her son’s file was with the Police Complaints Authority, Sulker said, she visited Kennard’s office and he had told her that he had sent the file to the DPP and it would only take about two days before she makes her recommendations.

“The DPP saying how she need more evidence but to me they trying to say is not the police. But I heard the police at the station the night the thing happen telling a bigger one on the phone that the police men dem had AK-47 with 30 live rounds,” Sulker said. “After I heard them said that, I said why you all sending them out with 30 rounds like you all send them to kill.”

Sulker also added that if the DPP wants more evidence pertaining to the case she should at least seek to make contact with Belgrave’s friends who were with him on the night of the incident and saw what transpired.

When asked whether she knew the whereabouts of the three policemen accused of the crime the woman said she learnt that they are still in the jurisdiction but not under close arrest. She also said that she was hearing rumours that nothing will come out of the matter.

Christmas for the Belgrave family would be very different this year, Sulker added. She said her family was still deciding who would cook, since Dameon was the person who would normally do so. She said that since her son’s death her family has been terribly distressed.

She said she cries and think about him a lot because she misses her son especially at this time of the year. Sulker also noted that Belgrave’s sister was also affected a lot by his passing and has been “taking it on”.

Sulker stated that she hopes something comes out of the matter and justice is served. She also said that she will be trying her best to make sure that her son’s death does not go in vain.

Comments  

[Video] Maurice Arjoon’s lawyer in bid to levy on NBS

  The legal team for former New Building Society (NBS) manager, Maurice Arjoon, who was wrongfully dismissed, have levied on the bank’s assets in a bid to recoup the $59,033,000 pension owed to him by the financial institution.

Mahaicony farmer who drove car without permission dies in crash

An alleged inebriated farmer of 54 Strath Campbell Village, Mahaicony, ECD, died at about 3 pm  yesterday at Chance Village, Mahaicony, after a vehicle he was reportedly not given permission to drive, crashed into a utility pole.

Quarter-final curse fells Nadal again as Cilic advances

MELBOURNE,  (Reuters) – Rafa Nadal’s Australian Open quarter-final curse struck again on Tuesday, an injury forcing the top seed to retire in the fifth set against Croatia’s Marin Cilic.

Hundreds more sugar workers to be laid off

Several hundred more sugar workers are expected to be laid off from the Skeldon, Rose Hall, and East Demerara estates by next month and the Guyana Agricultural and General Workers Union (GAWU) yesterday urged that the decision be reviewed.

Order signed for setting up of telecoms agency

The commencement order establishing the Telecommunications Agency was signed last Friday, in anticipation of the liberalisation of the telecoms sector, Minister of Public Tele-communications Cathy Hughes announced yesterday.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×