Stolen Curacao gold likely from Guyana, GGMC probe suggests

A probe into the multi-million dollar gold heist in Curacao appears to be winding down here as the Guyana Geology and Mines Commission (GGMC) is now completing its report, which is expected to indicate that the stolen gold originated here.

Sources close to the GGMC say it will shortly submit its report to the Ministry of Natural Resources and the Environment.
Efforts to contact Natural Resources Minister Robert Persaud for comment yesterday proved futile, while GGMC head Rickford Vieira declined to speak on the matter when he was contacted.

The GGMC had dispatched teams to Curacao and neighbouring Suriname in the hope of tracing the origin of the gold. The Natural Resources Ministry has stated that from all available information, the gold bars were not from Guyana. However, despite the size of the loss—estimated at some US$11.5 million or $2.3B—no one has come forward to claim the gold.

However   Stabroek News was told that from preliminary reports from the team that visited Curacao, it seems that the documents which were shown to the Curacao police for clearance were not authentic. The team, after speaking to the crew and other persons on that island, believes that the gold originated from Guyana and has ruled out Suriname.

In the early days of the investigation, there were suggestions that the gold may have originated in Suriname but from the heist on November 30 to the present time, there has been no statement or interest by Paramaribo in the shipment. Neither have local operators there claimed the gold.

A Surinamese police source informed that there are no investigations from that country because they do not believe the gold originated there. “We do not believe the gold came from this country because no one has made an official complaint to police. It is very funny that people would say so because our people do not have to smuggle gold anywhere in the world because it is not expensive… our government has not said anything on this matter either because they too know that [it is] not [from] Suriname,” the source said.

The crew of the vessel, ‘Summer Bliss,’ has not departed Curacao. When questioned why, Curacao Police Spokesperson Reggie Huggins told Stabroek News that the crewmembers were not being held by the police and he did not know why they have not yet left the island. The police there would not release the names of the crewmembers, since they stated that the investigation was a sensitive one. However, a crew member who gave his name as Raymond Emmanuel reportedly told the Associated Press (AP) that the crew left Guyana on November 26, bound for Curacao.

According to AP, Huggins did not say who owned the gold but he said it was a legal shipment that was being transshipped via Curacao and that officials on the Dutch-administered island had been told in advance that it was coming as part of normal security protocols. He declined to reveal the eventual destination of the shipment.

Comments  

Buttler hundred hands England ODI series victory

SYDNEY,  (Reuters) – England’s Jos Buttler struck a belligerent unbeaten 100 to set up a 16-run win over Australia in the third one-day international on Sunday, as the touring side took an unassailable 3-0 lead in the five-match series.

Law to debar errant contractors coming by year end – Corbin

The Public Procurement Commission (PPC) hopes that by the end of this year debarment legislation would be in place as it will soon begin meeting with stakeholders on a draft.

House passes witness protection bill

A bill to provide a legal framework for the protection of witnesses was passed without amendment by the National Assembly on Friday evening despite arguments by the parliamentary opposition that it failed to take into account modern challenges.

Over $7M seized in Soesdyke raid expected to trigger money-laundering probe

The ownership of over $7 million in local and foreign currencies and several vehicles that were all seized during a raid by the Customs Anti-Narcotics Unit (CANU) at Soesdyke, East Bank Demerara on Friday has raised questions and a separate probe is expected to be launched.

Exxon set to begin drilling new well

Weeks after its major oil find at the offshore Ranger-1 well in the Stabroek Block, ExxonMobil’s local subsidiary is preparing to begin drilling at the Pacora-1 well site in the same area.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×