BBC director general resigns over ‘shoddy journalism’

LONDON (Reuters) – BBC Director General George Entwistle resigned yesterday, just two months into the job, after the state-funded broadcaster put out a programme denounced by the corporation’s chairman as shoddy journalism.

The BBC, reeling from revelations that one of its former stars was a paedophile, brought further problems on its head when a flagship news programme aired a mistaken allegation that a former senior politician sexually abused children.

The BBC had already issued a full apology on Friday, but yesterday its director general had to admit under questioning from his own journalists that he had not known in advance about the Newsnight report, weeks after being accused of being too hands-off over the previous scandal on the same programme.
Accepting Entwistle’s resignation, BBC Trust chairman Lord Patten said: “This is undoubtedly one of the saddest evenings of my public life.
“At the heart of the BBC is its role as a trusted global news organisation.

“As the editor-in-chief of that organisation, George has very honourably offered us his resignation because of the unacceptable mistakes — the unacceptable shoddy journalism — which has caused us so much controversy.”

Entwistle quit after strong criticism over the Newsnight programme.
“I listened to the director general with increasing disbelief,” John Whittingdale, chairman of parliament’s powerful media committee, told Reuters. “The level of failure of management at every level within the BBC, up to and including the director general, is just extraordinary.”

The BBC and its bosses have been under huge pressure since a rival broadcaster carried charges last month that the late Jimmy Savile, one of the most recognisable personalities on British television in the 1970s and 80s, was a prolific sex offender.

Expose withdrawn
Suggestions have surfaced of a paedophile ring inside the broadcaster at the time and a BBC cover-up. To complicate matters for Entwistle, Newsnight pulled a planned expose of Savile shortly after his death last year, and the BBC went ahead with tribute shows.

Having been widely criticised for not broadcasting that expose, which led to its editor stepping aside, Newsnight is now being lambasted for its Nov. 2 report on sexual abuse at children’s care homes in North Wales during the 1970s.

Steve Messham, a witness, told Newsnight that a senior Conservative had raped him when he was a child in one of the homes.
Newsnight did not identify the politician, but the name of Alistair McAlpine, Conservative Party treasurer from 1975 to 1990 during Margaret Thatcher’s premiership, quickly appeared on the Internet and social media sites.

On Friday, McAlpine went public to rigorously deny the allegations and threaten legal action. Hours later, Messham said he had misidentified McAlpine to Newsnight. The programme admitted it had not approached McAlpine for a comment, or shown Messham a picture of McAlpine, before airing the report.

Castigated for what he agreed was a slow response to the Savile disclosures, Entwistle demanded a report on the incident by today and suspended all Newsnight investigations.

The erroneous Newsnight report had been cleared by senior managers and lawyers, and commentators queried why Entwistle had been kept in the dark in the wake of the furore over Savile.

Comments  

Police still baffled by discovery of 13 starved, abused siblings

PERRIS, Calif., (Reuters) – Police said yesterday they were still seeking answers after finding 13 siblings starving in their parents’ squalid Southern California home, some of them chained to beds under “horrific” conditions in an otherwise ordinary suburb.

Former Trump aide Bannon refuses to comply with House subpoena

WASHINGTON,  (Reuters) – President Donald Trump’s former chief strategist Steve Bannon declined on Tuesday to comply with a subpoena ordering him to answer questions from a House intelligence panel about his time at the White House as part of its investigation into allegations of Russian interference in the U.S.

El Salvador eyes work scheme with Qatar for migrants facing exit from U.S.

SAN SALVADOR, (Reuters) – El Salvador is discussing a deal with Qatar under which Salvadoran migrants facing the loss of their right to stay in the United States could live and work temporarily in the Middle Eastern country, the government of the Central American nation said on Tuesday.

Nations at North Korea meeting commit to considering more sanctions

VANCOUVER, (Reuters) – A 20-nation meeting on North Korea agreed yesterday to consider imposing unilateral sanctions on Pyongyang that go beyond those required by U.N.

Britain’s Carillion collapses after banks pull the plug

LONDON,  (Reuters) – Carillion collapsed yesterday when its banks pulled the plug, triggering Britain’s biggest corporate failure in a decade and forcing the government to step in to guarantee public services from school meals to roadworks.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×