CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand, CMC – New Zealand’s tour of the West Indies later this year will be the last for John Wright as coach. The former Test opener has turned down a contract extension from New Zealand Cricket, bringing to an end a near two-year stint in charge of the Black Caps.
“I am grateful to New Zealand Cricket for the opportunity to coach the national team. I had always wanted to coach New Zealand cricketers for New Zealanders and it has been a tremendous privilege for me,” Wright said.
“I appreciate the offer to extend my contract but after much consideration I feel it’s the right time to move on and look at other opportunities.”
Under Wright, the Black Caps flourished, reaching the final of last year’s 50-overs World Cup and also scoring their first win in Australia in 26 years.
NZC Chief Executive David White hailed Wright’s time in charge and said it was disappointing he could not continue as coach. “John has been an outstanding servant for cricket in New Zealand over a long time and it is disappointing to lose someone of his calibre,” said White.
“We were keen to see him continue his head coach role, however understand and respect his decision to look for another challenge.
“The fighting performance of the Black Caps at the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 and again in the Test victory over Australia spoke volumes about John as a coach and he can be proud of the way he has advanced the current team.”
New Zealand will tour West Indies from June 30 to August 6 and will play two Tests, five One-Day Internationals and two Twenty20s.