Rejected trainer accused of threat, assault on ex

Natoya Carter, who said she reported the threats and an assault by her former live-in partner, yesterday told a court that the police were initially afraid to do a follow-up visit to his home after they learnt he had a gun.

Personal trainer Dexter Davis, 44, of Lot 148 Prashad Nagar, with whom Carter shared a relationship, was yesterday accused of assaulting and threatening her with a gun. He pleaded not guilty to the charges and was released on $180,000 bail by Magistrate Judy Latchman at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court.

It was alleged that on January 2, at Georgetown, Davis used threatening behaviour with a gun to Carter and also assaulted her, thereby resulting in a breach of peace.

When asked by the court if she wanted to say anything, Carter explained she once shared a relationship with the defendant. However, after she decided to end the relationship, she said he began assaulting and threatening her with a gun.
According to her, on the day in question she went to Davis’ home to collect her belongings and he choked her and used his gun to threaten her life.

“We had an on and off relationship for five months. I decided to end the relationship. I went at his house and pack my stuff and he told me that I wasn’t going to leave. He started assault me, he started choking me and he pull the gun from his waist, which he threaten me with,” Carter explained.

She stated that she went to the Prashad Nagar Police Station to report the matter but the police were afraid to visit the man’s residence because they became afraid after she related to them that he owned a gun. Sometime later, she, however, said, the lawmen went to the man’s home and arrested him. She added that after he was brought to the police station and questioned about the gun, he denied it. “But he has a gun and he used it to threaten me,” she maintained.

When asked by the court if he wished to say anything, Davis responded in the negative.
The prosecution had no objections to Davis being granted bail.

Bail was set in the sum of $100,000 for the threatening behaviour charge and $80,000 for the assault charge. Additionally, Davis was ordered to stay away from the complainant pending the determination of the matter.
The case will be called again on February 12.

Around the Web