Man shot in Alberttown drive-by

A Campbellville resident was shot and left for dead when gunmen opened fire on him at Cummings Street, Alberttown early yesterday morning.

Crime Chief Seelall Persaud identified the man as Leslie Wood, of Seaforth Street, Campbellville. When Stabroek News went to the Lot 54 address given for Wood, an occupant said that the man did not live there and that he had moved out on Sunday. The man had given that address to officials at the Georgetown Hospital, where he was taken by police for medical attention.

Persaud that Wood sustained three gunshots wounds to the body in the attack. Throughout the day, the man was being given medical attention. When this newspaper checked around 3 pm, a hospital official said that he was still in the treatment room as doctors wanted to verify something. He was later admitted a patient of the High Dependency Unit (HDU). His relatives, refused to speak to this newspaper when approached.

Persaud said that the police have no information about the circumstances of the shooting as Wood is not saying anything.

He added that when he was picked up by police, the man was conscious but did not tell ranks how the shooting occurred.

He added that investigators recovered two spent shells from the scene.

An Alberttown resident told Stabroek News that gunshots rang out just after 4 am. “All I hear is screaming the blam, blam, blam, blam, blam,” the resident, who did not want to be identified, said.

On investigating, the resident said, he found a man lying on the parapet bleeding and several persons had gathered. “If you see blood,” he recalled, adding that in addition to crying out for pain, the man was also saying provocative things. The residents suggested that the man might have been intoxicated. He also kept calling the name of a woman.

This newspaper was told that based on reports, the man had jumped a fence before a car with the shooter/s came speeding up. A police van later drove up and according to the resident the police “just drive up put the man in the van and drive off.” The resident said that police ranks returned around 6 pm and cordoned off that section of the street to begin their investigations.

A white and blue 212 motor car, suspected to belong to Wood, was parked on Cummings Street, a short distance from where he was found.

Up to press time last evening no arrests had been made.

Around the Web